Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to get a new motor and I am looking at getting a short block. My car will see only street duty and maybe a run or two down a the strip. It doesn't have to be amazingly strong because I won't run a poweradder. I have talked to Keith Craft and their 306 is 1695 where as I can get a Motorsport 302 shortblock for 1295 with free shipping. How is the quality on the FRPP short blocks? What would ya'll do?

Thanks

Brett

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
You allready have the Motorsport 302 shortblock.

You could just get it rebuilt with some better internals (forged pistons/H-beams/Main Support Girdle). Could even stroke it out.

I'd check with DSS Racing.

What kind of heads & intake are you going to be using? No power adder? If you are going to go naturally aspirated, you may want domed pistons to increase compression.

I've heard the our blocks can handle around 600 HP safely (with good internals).

It's when you race them that you will break them, eventually.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am looking at the same thing now, only I am looking to get some agressive times. I am looking more along the lines of 650+ horse and 700 torque. That should put me into the low 11s pretty easily.

I know for a more "solid" block, it is a good idea to step up to the SVO block. I have heard that the stock block can take up to about 500 hsp for abuse. Of course, it is always a good idea to upgrade the internals (ARP bolts, etc).

Keep us posted on your progress!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the reason I was looking at a complete shortblock is that this car is my daily driver and I can't have a lot of down time when the motor is getting assembled. I plan on using edelbrock heads (ported most likely), edelbrock performer rpm intake, and a cam with good mid and high end power. I don't know of a cam that has good idle and this powerband, because frankly, I know very little about cams. Right now the crank in my car has a cross threaded balancer bolt, which is getting fixed next week. But I would still like a new motor in the future.

If I'm able I would like to get a 331, but I'm not sure about the funds right now. Thanks for the help guys.

Brett

How hard is it to assemble a shortblock anyhow???

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Could do like me and buy a used short block and rebuild it slowly as funds allow. I picked up a used virgin short block and will take it to get hot tanked and they will tell me what size bore and bearings to get. Then I will order a rebuild kit, Summit or DSS are my choices. Then take back to the machine shop for hone and have the crank turned, I will have already got the rebuild kit and have the pistons to hone to proper size. Put it together and I have a good short block to replace the one in the car. That is my 1 year plan. Don't need it now, but it's a start and having to get everthing approved by SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed). It's my daily driver so, like you cannot have too much down time. Only have 110k on the Cobra, so still good for another 50k at least. I also want to keep the original block for the future, numbers matching.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.