Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what inter cooler do you use and why? Did you size it by cfm? Who has the best for what price?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Prochargers own intercooler.
Because I had it and just by looking at it, it way sturdier than many other options out there from fleabay and such.

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
I had the pleasure of using intercoolers (2 and 3 core sheet metal intercoolers) from ATI ProCharger and currently, I have a new custom intercooler from Bell Intercoolers. Purchasing a new intercooler that will support 900 to 1100 HP will cost you around $1250 retail. If you can find one used you will be able to save some money. Bell Intercoolers has a great FAQ seen here: https://bellintercoolers.com/ft-3085-faq.html

I remember Dan Jones (former owner of ATI ProCharger) telling me that "Internal Flow Area" was something that they paid attention to with their intercoolers. Internal Flow Area is equal to channel length X channel width X number of channels. When I ordered my custom intercooler from Bell, I had to give them the area I had available to fit the intercooler and how much horsepower I was looking to support.

Personally, I've seen way too many stories about cheaper intercoolers (do yourself a favor and don't let their low price and marketing fool you). They are cheaper because of the materials used in manufacturing, their design and the inefficient cores they use.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have Prochargers "In on top, out on bottom" type.
After a fully theoretic conversation with my father where we discussed my Procharger type and his "in bottom, out bottom" type we both concluded that the Procharger type should distribute the air more evenly through out all the core channels, while his "in bottom, out bottom" has no way of distributing the air to the top channels of the core, hence it should (fully theoretic by two amateurs) flow most of the air through the bottom channels only, heating them up a lot thus reducing efficiency. Also the fact that Xcfm needs to go through channels that can only flow Ycfm. Obviously, it has to go somewhere and some needs to go though the top channels but wouldn't that case irregularity in flow?

We are far from experts.
But we want to believe we are...

Pictures for clarification.

Procharger (that I have):

"in bottom, out bottom"

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
That pro charger type cooler you posted a picture of has poor cooling. My ptk kit had the same style. You want a cross flow cooler like in your second picture. The inlet/outlet is usually in line for space constraints. IMO it won't make a big difference.
Precision also makes a nice intercooler core.
A quality core will cool much better and not restrict flow as much. Install as big as you can.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The “vertical flow” ProCharger intercooler pictured does not have poor cooling. “Horizontal flow” coolers have longer, fewer internal passages which means there is more restriction as the same volume of air is forced through a smaller area. Also, considering that the majority of charge cooling occurs in the first few inches of core, having a core that is 18” or so inches long does little to cool more than shorter passages.

If you want facts, talk to a reputable company like Bell. They will make coolers in either orientation for you, but if you’re looking to make power, they will guide you toward a design like ProCharger’s ... as they did for Michael.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
A good indicator of I/C efficiency is pressure drop across the core. A I/C that has a 3 psi pressure drop is obviously not as efficient as a core that has a 1 1/2 psi pressure drop. I would look at what the pressure drop is instead of making a decision based on looks or impressions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A good indicator of I/C efficiency is pressure drop across the core. A I/C that has a 3 psi pressure drop is obviously not as efficient as a core that has a 1 1/2 psi pressure drop. I would look at what the pressure drop is instead of making a decision based on looks or impressions.
I agree that's part of the equation. However, a completely hollow intercooler would in theory have 0 pressure drop but would offer nothing in terms of charge cooling. Large, cheaply made intercoolers may have small pressure drops because of smaller fin counts or less fin density but are not efficient for their intended purpose. You need to look at temp drop in conjunction with pressure drop.

That said, you'd have to buy multiple intercoolers and compare one to another in order to make a decision using that process.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Fin count or fin density has nothing to do with pressure drop. It would affect temp transfer. That being the case, nobody ever said making HP was cheap...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Fin count or fin density has nothing to do with pressure drop. It would affect temp transfer. That being the case, nobody ever said making HP was cheap...
Yes is does. The more fins you have in a passage of a given size, the more restrictive that passage becomes. More restriction creates more pressure drop. What you want is a lot of fin density to efficiently cool and a lot of passages to keep pressure drop low.

Again. Use an extreme example. Imagine a small core with no fins (or barely any fins) in it. No restriction. No pressure drop. But no cooling. Now imagine same size core jammed full of fins. Air backs up on front of the core causing higher pressure on the inlet than the outlet but the air that makes it through is cooled. Now use that same fin density in a core 3x the size. More passages creates less restriction thus less pressure drop. Air speed is reduced through the core leaving additional time for heat transfer. High fin density means lots of contact area also creating a lot of heat transfer.

My point is pressure drop alone cannot be used to deem an intercooler efficient.

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
So what inter cooler do you use and why? Did you size it by cfm? Who has the best for what price?
might want to add some details as to what the application is.

as far as the procharger bandwagon goes... search around as there's lot of people who have had issues with their intercoolers, myself included... mostly poor quality welding, and total lack of after sale customer support.

i've been running an icevex (similar to treadstone) since my procharge "race" intercooler failed and no issues since, although know few people that run chiseled units and rave about the quality and support, which is what i'll run on my next setup.

http://www.chiseledperformance.net/intercoolers.htm

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
damn, not the "time" thing in heat transfer again......

having air in 'longer' time means LESS TRANSFER cause that air is picking up heat, therefore the delta is less, therefore less heat transfer, you want the biggest delta, which means most airflow so the air that just picked up heat is kicked out

"TIME" cancels out, with the heat leaving the charged air

as soon as you hear 'time' you know the person has no clue

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
It appears to the readers that people are talking about the "air" in different situations which should be clarified in all the conversations.
There is "wind stream" air that is outside the IC which is used to remove the heat and there is the air within the IC that is heated and needs cooled.

ks

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
YES it seems the pressure drop within the intake tract is being compared to pressure drop across the heat exchanger

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Personally I could give a **** less on the theory. I just need to decide what intercooler is going to work best. At this time Chiseled looks the beast. Anyone know about Treadstone's 1200 or 1300hp intercoolers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts