Ford Mustang Forums banner
101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
I think I misunderstood what controller you were referring to. Got a link to what you have?

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I saw that MSD makes a relay block, the description says that it can handle PWM?

Please forgive my innocence on this subject. I'm just looking into this. Thanks

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
In purchased form, it will not take input from an outside sensor. It generates the PWM signal on manually commanding a duty cycle with the rotary knob.

Would be interesting to see someone build a controller like this that would take an input from an ECT sensor. I know for the crowd here running standalone ECU's it's not a concern, but i've had a number of folks message me regarding controlling these controllers without such a system. Short of making an arduino setup for it, I have not found a solution.

Typically such units are an all-in-one device like DCC but they are expensive. I would imagine the circuitry needed to make a small controller for an OEM PWM module would be simpler, operate on low-current and probably be very reliable. You really just need the ECT input, and maybe a WOT trigger (to turn fan off) and an AC on trigger. The arduino can do this, but it's a matter of coding.

I've actually been meaning to do this. I'm running my fan on the manual controller for now as my ECU changeover is probably going to happen next winter so i don't have to rush it. I've been wanting to sit down and build an arduino setup for this. I just lack time

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
I saw that MSD makes a relay block, the description says that it can handle PWM?

Please forgive my innocence on this subject. I'm just looking into this. Thanks
Pricey, but not clear on how it works. Looks like it just takes a PWN signal to turn the relay on/off. I imagine there is no control in terns of fan speed other than on/off.

I think the bigger issue for most is generating the PWM signal that is appropriate for the various OEM PWM modules out there. For $200 you can buy a handful of used OEM controllers (or even 2 brand new Infiniti controllers) but the main problem is the signal to the controller. Again, since this is the Holley ECU forum that's not a problem but I think fan controllers are something the larger Mustang modding community would like to start to use even without aftermarket ECU

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
That MSD one can be used for variable speed fans/pumps I believe. But I wouldn’t stick an radiator fan load on it by any means.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
Since there isn't a simple test controller for PWM- (it seems), is there any other way to test the 2 units I have for functionality? I'd just like to confirm they both work.
Voltage test. As you vary the duty cycle the voltage will change from source to 0.

So for PWM-, you would put one lead on the positive voltage into the controller and the Neg on pwm-

for pwm+, test lead on the pwm output and Neg to the controller ground.

At 0% you will have no voltage, and as you scale up to 100% the voltage will rise to 12v

Reactions: massacre
101 - 110 of 110 Posts