Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, decided to swap the stock intake for the GT40 laying in my garage on my 91gt, no big deal, right?

Anyway, once I had the intake off, I found MEGA SLUDGE in the lifter valley. So I removed the rockers, pushrods, lifters, spider, etc. I spent a day cleaning all that crap.

I put in a new set of lifters hoping to eliminate a cold start up noise I've been hearing.

So I put it all back together and now it won't start.

In trying to chase down the problem, I've changed the distributor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and done a compression test. The compression varies from 85-145, but I still think it should start up! I'm going to pull the valve covers and check the rockers in hopes of getting the compression issue leveled out, but I still gotta figure out why the car won't start!

Knowing the distributor wasn't 180 out, I went ahead and turned it around just to see! I'm so frustrated anyway.

I was also having a very WEIRD problem, but now it seems to be gone. When I would turn the distributor just a little, it was cycling the fuel pump :confused:

I'm getting spark in the wires, I checked that with the timing light (and my husband's hand.. LOL!) But the spark plugs do not appear as though they've fired at all, just wet with fuel.

I'm at a loss.

Oh, and while it was apart, I eliminated the EGR and set it up the same way my 92lx is by removing the plug in part from the EGR and plugging it into the wiring and then wrapping tape around the little piston thingy. And I eliminated all the smog crap.

So, any clue?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Well, first off, I can tell you that having the fuel pump cycle when you rotate the distributor is normal.

It sounds like an ignition related issue. However, it could be that the distributor is way off as well.

Does the car just turn over or does it attempt to fire? Try starting it while rotating the distributor.

I agree that even with those compression numbers, the car should still run.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? That's normal? I checked it on the 92gt convertible just to see and it didn't do it (that I could hear, anyway).

The car doesn't attempt to fire, it just turns over. I've had the distributor out several times and rechecked everything.. it's driving me CRAZY! I've also tried starting it while turning the distributor, still nothing.

That's why I'm so freakin stressed out over this, it seems I've tried everything imaginable, but nothing has worked.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
If you get me that PB&J you owe me, I'll come on up and help ya :) Well it sounds like you've made sure you've got fuel and fire and the timing should be close enough to start....maybe it's flooded from trying to start it a lot? I know my car with big injectors and running pig rich would not start sometimes, just turn over. I'd hold my foot to the floor and it may take awhile, but it'd crank. I may be wrong here, but doesn't putting the gas to the floor put the ecu into "clear flood mode" or some crap like that? I don't think you had to remove a ground strap, but maybe you did? (and I'm having a brain fart right now cause I can't quiet remember how a stock motor gets ground....lil wire from back of driver's side head to firewall....and another bigger one at the block?)
Oh the joy of a non-starting Stang....like sitting at a gas station in the wet and cold for 4 or 5 hrs this weekend @ WFC cause my buddy's starter went out and the Autozone employee was a moron :mad:
Hope ya get it fixed :)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
When all else fails go back to the basics and/or beginning. I approach this as not assuming that I've done everything right when I get one that doesn't run when it should. I've told myself that before "there's no way that I did THAT operation wrong so it must be something else". Yeah right, I wish.

So lets see.... What kind of rockers are on this one? Fully adjustable or the factory style bolt-downs? If they're fully adjustables then I'd like a description of EXACTLY how you adjusted them. Perhaps there's a flaw here.

If they're the bolt-downs then we can skip the adjustment bit and go on to verify the dist orientation. The easiest way to verify number one-compression stroke now is to pull the number one plug. Thats passenger side front plug- I'm not knocking you, I've played and worked with SBF's for about 20yrs and I've been known to make a bonehead mistake like that :). Happens to everyone. Anyway place your thumb over the plug hole and bump the engine over until you feel air being pushed out. Now find the timing marks and rotate the engine clockwise as you face it to true up the engine on TDC. Now verify rotor position and correct as necessary.

If after verifying that the rockers are adjusted properly and the timing is proper it still doesn't wanna start then I'd start looking at the electronics. Do a code check. It might shed some light on a possible solution. One thing that frequently happens is a ground strap gets left off and results in abnormal sensor readings and can cause unusual symptoms.

Oh, and clean or replace the plugs if they're wet.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the rockers are stock. This mustang is one I bought a few weeks ago for my husband.. it's nothing special but it was cheap :)

Anyway.. I've tried starting it at WOT as well as no throttle because I can smell the fuel and know it's getting flooded. (BTW, this has been going on since Saturday now).

And the grounds, one goes from the firewall to the drivers' side cylinder head and the other comes from the fuel injector wiring harness and goes to the same head (different spot). Both of those grounds have been checked, re-checked, unhooked, cleaned and reconnected.

I think the "back to the basics" tactic is going to be my only answer at this point. Since I have to pull the valve covers back off to get the compression numbers in the same area (I don't know how I managed to screw that up, let's blame it on the new lifters), I'll just take the upper intake off and check everything I can see. I just wish I had some sort of clue as to what I'm searching for at this point.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Trace said:
Oh yah, Bobo.. you want your PB&J sammich, you're gonna have to come up here and get it! Come see our new house! :) And FIX THIS DAMN CAR! :)
Well I would come check out y'alls new house....but I just traded my 93 L for a 95 GTS with a tranny that's about to fall out
:lol:
Besides, we'd prolly just end up sitting around, drinking beer, eating PB&J's and just looking at the car with blank stares.....well at least that's how I fix a Stang :idunno: :blam: :curses: :snore:

·
Registered
110 Posts
My money is on incorrect distributor placement. Asfar as
the compression differences : maybe some of the lifters are not pumped up yet.

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.