Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be louder since I know a off-road pipe is loud as hell.

I have flowmasters on there already - I have noticed though that exhaust setups get louder with a few miles on them - has anyone else noticed that their high flow catted H-pipe is no louder then the OEM 4 cat pipe?

btw- it is not an X pipe

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I had a bassani 2 cat x pipe put on I kind of expected it to be louder than it is. I've got the 2 chamber flows with stock tail pipes. It is definatly a little deeper than before and a little louder at 2K rpm. It also gets a little bit louder and deeper after everything heats up too. I want to get some mufflers with a straight through design and 2.5" pipes at some point to make it a little louder. New headers probably wouldn't hurt either!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Same thing here also. I am running a 2 1/2 high flow catted h-pipe. Hoped it might of been louder then it is. But the only way to go is with a O/R H or X-pipe if you want it loud. One of my friends even put 1 chamber flows with a catted h-pipe. Louder then 2 chambers with a catted h-pipe. But not as loud as 2 chambers with a O/R h or x-pipe.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey guys, I don't know if it's because I have shorty headers on, but when i switched from the stock H-pipe to a BBK hiflow catpipe, it got noticeably louder. That was actually the last part of the exhaust system to get replaced, and now the car gurgles happily at idle, which it never did before with the stock hpipe. I have 2 chamber flows as well, so maybe header selection has a decent impact on the sound?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm the same as 5ohMike. The stock h-pipe was the last thing to be replaced. I've had shorties and mufflers for 10 years. I just put on a BBK cat pipe and it is a lot louder with the MAC mufflers.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Interestingly enough cats (at least high flow types) don't cost power, at least not at the 500 horsepower level. I have dynoed my car a bunch of times in the last 3 years or so, with cats and without. My most recent dyno session was without cats, and I didn't see any difference.

Also, my fastest mph (118.7) was with cats installed.

I think when most people pull their cats off they are worn out, so there might be a gain. But, with new cats, I don't see a difference. They'd probably cost power at a higher hp level, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts