Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So much for tha autozone $80 fan idea! I put one on, (an imperial 16inch) car immediately went up to halfway up the temp guage (what is that btw?? On my firebird halfway up is 180, what is it on stangs?). Any ideas for what I should do?? I heard of people recommending "ramchargers" but somebody said they are out of stock, and I need something NOW. My old mechanical fan is cracked and wobbly.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
That is about right on the guage for the car to run.

Do a SEARCH (yeah the button at the top of the screen) and you can find out what the numbers are on the guage for the approx temp.

Keep in mind the stockers are not bad, but not as good or accurate as aftermarkets.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
First of all; you need to invest in a REAL coolant temp sensor so you know what temp's you are really running. You might find that they are within tolerance, since the motor, according to your signature, is stock. Secondly, if you read any of the cfm flow data on these fans, you would have discovered that they can barely handle a stock 4cyl, maybe a V6, but not even a 225 horse base 5.0 with air conditioning! I know because I looked into "cheating" in this manor myself. We do this to try to save money & usually only get grief for our efforts though.....

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
The temp gauge goes from 130 to 270, so dead center would be about 200 degrees. That's normal operating temperature; your car hasn't begun to overheat until it is consistently at or above say 2/3 the scale. The temperature will not drop below 195 degrees so long as you have a 195 t-stat, regardless of your fan and radiator, because as soon as it does the stat closes and stops flow to the radiator. If for some reason you want to see your operating temperature lower you will have to get a 180 t-stat.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm, then somebody must have taken out the thermastat or something, with the stock clutch fan it never goes above 150

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Is the Taurus fan easier to install in our Foxes than the Lincoln MK VIII fan? My aftermarket (Pep Boys) clutch fan makes so much noise that it sounds like a hurricane!

BTW, I installed a 195 degree stat about 10 months ago. Gas mileage was pathetic before the stat because it ran way too cold. Now the temp guage is just below the halfway point and mileage is up over 24 mpg highway at times :joy: !

I still think that you should get a real guage on it, though. I had tested mine prior to the stat replacement with a meat thermometer in the warm radiator fluid. HOWEVER, I don't suggest removing the radiator cap on a warm engine unless you really know what you're doing!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Did you really think you could toss a cheesy autozone fan on it?

Im trying not to step on your nuts here.. but before you jump into a project like this.. you really need to do the research.

If you search the posts here you will find a ton of info on electric fan swaps, which ones work well, great and not so great.

Which ones fit, and dont fit.

Good luck
Adam

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Adam Dugger said:
Did you really think you could toss a cheesy autozone fan on it?

Im trying not to step on your nuts here.. but before you jump into a project like this.. you really need to do the research.

I did research, and I knew it was a gamble. Heres the problem, I didn't HAVE ANY MONEY, and my car has a cracked mechanical fan, and I needed to drive to work the same day, and all the junk yards were closed. Going to the junkyard right now to search for something cheap otherwise I'm screwed.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Stangandfirebirdguy said:
...I did research...I didn't HAVE ANY MONEY, and my car has a cracked mechanical fan, and I needed to drive to work the same day, and all the junk yards were closed...
So, now you're out $80. For that $80, you could have bought a new plastic fan blade from Ford. Your least expensive way out is the Ford plastic fan blade. Sell the AutoZone fan. An electric fan conversion requires more than just a fan. By the time you're done it will cost hundreds. i.e., bigger alternator, fan controls, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I returned the autozone fan (took a lot of bitching but I did it), went to junkyard, and pulled a big single fan with a really nice full radiator shroud from a 90's Taurus/mercury (not quite sure what car it was, car was wasted), and now the problem is SOLVED!! :D I also snagged a few relays, and my friend and I spent the afternoon doing a very nice installation. This sucker blows HARD. Car doesn't go over 170 in traffic with AC on. It makes a lot of noise ( I can hear it over the stock exhaust) but this little fan kicks some serious ass. Oh, and I payed $20 total for the fan and relays :D I'll post pics tommorow. If that autozone fan pulled 1,800cfm according to the box, this junkyard fan has to pull at least twice that. Only down side is it really pulls the motor down when I flip the switch. I hooked it up to a 50amp bosch relay I pocketed at teh junkyard yard, really nice installation. I'm a happy camper now :D Total cost: $20!! You guys should see the shroud that came with this fan, it covers the whole radiator perfectly, it was a really lucky find.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and oh yeah, remember how I said i thought the factory guage was broken because with the clutch fan it read below 130??? Well it WASN"T broken, my original theory was right, the idiot that owned the car before me took out the thermastat! I put one in and now the car warms up quick and heater blows nice and warm. runs around 170 with the new fan. I put a 170 stat in it.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
After all that has been posted on this forum, why would anyone buy that junk **** from autozone?!?

For 40 dollars more you could have gotten a ramchargers!

If your that hard up for a fan due to your being broken, go get a flex fan from autozone, they are much cheaper and will keep you cool long enough to urchase a real fan

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Rich Gill said:
After all that has been posted on this forum, why would anyone buy that junk **** from autozone?!?

For 40 dollars more you could have gotten a ramchargers!

I've only been on these forums for like 3 days, I've never heard of ramchargers, and when I did discover them, they are sold out of the ones everyone on here says to buy, and Ford is not open at 11pm at night :D 24 hour autozone is, besides, all is well, my junkyard jewel works like a charm.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I...my junkyard jewel works like a charm.
You'll find out for sure in July! Hope it works.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Nothing wrong with experimenting a bit, thats how hot-rodding got its start. you didn't wreck anything, you aren't out any money, and you learned something in the process. Sounds like a positive experience to me...good job

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
heheh ok next question, fan works great and all, and I have it wired up using a relay and a manual switch....but is there anyway to tap into the factory temp switch to use it as a switch for my fan?? Thats probably a stretch but I thought I'd at least ask.

·
Registered
669 Posts
You can't use the factory sensor, but you could use a temp switch from a 94 up, or from any series of cars. usually these are installed into the thermostat housing. Note that this is not the sensor on the drivers side front of the motor, that is the sender for the guage. Nor is it the sensor on the tube running back to the heater core. That is for the EFI. This would be an all new switch for your car.

It will probably turn on at 215degrees if you use a factory ford one.

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
the idiot that owned the car before me took out the thermastat! I put one in and now the car warms up quick and heater blows nice and warm. runs around 170 with the new fan. I put a 170 stat in it.
Impossible!!!

·
US Army Active Duty
170 Posts
Well, I installed yesterday a Ford Focus dual fan in the high side, I replaced my flex mechanical fan. My motor runs in cold weather at 170-180 even though it has a 160 thermostat. So in the summer in a stop light it creeps up and get pretty warm 200 or a bit more. Well, with an imperial control and a continous solenoid I turn the motor on and let it reach 180 fans kicks in, and watched the auto meter gauge move to about 150 and fan kicks off, these fans move some serious air, but then again I have a 130 amp alternator. My combination is a carb 349 stroker 12.50:1 compr and lots a stuff. So far so good.

Edgar

1 - 20 of 23 Posts