Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
They put them back there to hold mud. Thats all that was in them when I removed them.

·
Registered
868 Posts
1-2 lbs. at the most, they're very light.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think they absorb the impact of a crash. It must be some kind of impact absorbing device.....Who knows, they might be little black boxes that record our driving behavior for waranty purposes.;)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Actually they are there so Mustang owners have one more thing to remove from the car. I think they are just there to try and prevent more crap from flying up behind the fenderwell. I removed mine along with all the brackets (the brackets are what weights something) for a total of about 8lbs total.

Bill

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
99svt32v said:
they are charcoal canisters. they are designed to reduce evaporative emissions. this is all i could gather
Sweet... they are chacoal canisters that now sit with all the other misc stuff my car doesn't require :) muahahaha!

Tks,
Tim:evil:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Red98Stang said:
I think they absorb the impact of a crash. It must be some kind of impact absorbing device.....Who knows, they might be little black boxes that record our driving behavior for waranty purposes.;)
Bingo!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Red98Stang said:

This is the correct answer, I had a retired Ford (Safety) Engineer walk by my driveway last month while I was BS'ing with a friend of mine and we struck up a conversation.....that guy told us gobs of safety related info pertaining to the 'stang..

:eek:

Here is what is supposedly does:

"In a rear impact crash, that device will "bump" into the rear wheels & allow the car to "move" forward (instead of letting the rear section crumple up and lock up the rear tires). The device in essence, allows for the vehicle to be "bounced" ahead and keep the occupants safe in a rear-end collision."

I'm paraphrasing the above based on said conversation....:cool:

·
Registered
155 Posts
That makes sense--I think I will just leave mine right where they are!:joy: --ratman

·
Registered
113 Posts
your not by chance speaking of the trunk vents are you? It's so when you close the trunk the air has a place to escape. All cars have them.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I took them off months back and weighed them. They were less than a pound without any dirt in them. They were about 3 lbs when full of dirt and gravel. I actually put them back on because I think it covered up unsightly stuff back there. Hell, they're only a lb. I eat more than that in a day's time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
It's not the boxes that weigh alot, it's the brackets. Mine are gone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow. Up until now I was convinced that their sole purpose was for dealerships to look for rocks chips and claim that owners beat up the cars and thus could void the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing..........thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts