Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me why the bumps are in the stock heads? I've searched the threads on removing them but I would like to know their purpose before doing so. Thanks, Mark

·
Moderator & USAF (Retired)
14,998 Posts
To divert the exhaust flow and allow fresh air to get injected into the exhaust stream. The fresh air flow is provided by the smog pump and is directed by the diverter valve to either go into the head, into the cat, or dump to atmosphere.

Smoothing them out (grinding flat with the roof) does not hurt their affect.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The "bump" is there as a stop for the drill (to drill the holes for Thermactor air injection) at the factory.

The TAB (Thermactor Air Bypass) valve directs air to the atmosphere (bypass) or TAD valve.
The TAD (Thermactor Air Diverter) valve diverts air to the cylinder heads or the catalytic converters.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The bumps are stops for the drilling? I thought the bumps provided a surface perpendicular to the drill bit... I mean without them, trying to drill into the exhaust roof at that angle would be useless. The bit would continuously keep slipping out the exhaust port / and or breaking. Besides, the drill depth should be preset, since the holes need to be drilled to the same depth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts