Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on installing my injectors. I have most of the lines and connections undone, and 5 out of 6 bolts out. On the back passanger side, there is this rusted metal piping that curves up, and onto that bolt. What is this pipe? I am having problems getting this off. I probably just have to yank harder I just thought I woudl take a break, and figure out what it does.

*EDIT* This pipe is not wanting to budge. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Hehehe..that's ford's idea of an anti-theft device. It was designed to slow down theives trying to steal parts of a Mustang just like it slowed you down.

It's a U-shaped bar. After you unbolt the Nut from on top of the bar on the intake manifold, follow the bar down about 5" of so and you will find where it is bolted to the block. Undo that and the bar comes out. It won't budge til both ends are undone.. The other end is haard to see, but once you see it it's easy to remove the bolt/nut.

When you put it back together, you don't need the bar. Mine is sitting in my toolbox.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Pulling Intake?

Mustang5L5 said:
Hehehe..that's ford's idea of an anti-theft device. It was designed to slow down theives trying to steal parts of a Mustang just like it slowed you down.

It's a U-shaped bar. After you unbolt the Nut from on top of the bar on the intake manifold, follow the bar down about 5" of so and you will find where it is bolted to the block. Undo that and the bar comes out. It won't budge til both ends are undone.. The other end is haard to see, but once you see it it's easy to remove the bolt/nut.

When you put it back together, you don't need the bar. Mine is sitting in my toolbox.
Well THANK YOU FORD! :rolleyes:

Thanks man! I have been pulling on that, and was starting to figure out it wasn't going to bend. I did feel down farther, and notice the nut you are talking about. That was going to be my next idea.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You kow the vacuum line that is about 5 inches long from the drivers side back of the intake to the vacuum tree? DId you disconnect it at the intake, or at the tree?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I removed mine from the intake...it comes of pretty easy, there is supposed to be a squeeze clamp (no idea what it's called) on it but mine doesn't have one

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Kevins89notch5.0 said:
You kow the vacuum line that is about 5 inches long from the drivers side back of the intake to the vacuum tree? DId you disconnect it at the intake, or at the tree?
Well, when i did my Cobra Intake, i just cut it and installed all new vacuum lines since they were 15 years old and kinda cracked.

But the first time i yanked my intake to polish it, i removed all the lines on the intake side. They are kinda tough to get off. Sometimes it's easy to clip em right where they go on the nipple and then attach em using the remainder of the line

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, thanks for the help guys. The intake is fully off! :joy:

Tomorrow I am going to clean up the valve covers while the intake is off, and then install the injectors!

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Perfect time for Valve cover gaskets!

·
Registered
805 Posts
I always wondered what the point of the U-bracket was. Guess it's an easy way to tell if the intake has ever been off since not many ppl would go to the trouble of putting it back on. Mine is sitting in a box somewhere out in the garage. :D

Kev, why are you pulling the whole intake to swap injectors? You just need to pull the upper!

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mustang5L5 said:
Perfect time for Valve cover gaskets!
Its funny you say that because I have a set sitting here next to me. I bought them a while with the idea of replacing them. Then I noticed how much work it would be, and never did it. I might do it tomorrow?

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FiveOJester said:
Kev, why are you pulling the whole intake to swap injectors? You just need to pull the upper!
I am just pulling the upper.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Kevins89notch5.0 said:
I might do it tomorrow?
It's quick and easy and you get to check out the rockers underneath! :D

the passenger side onemight be a bit tough to get off on the back rear corner where the smog tubes bolt to the header if you never removed it before.

But take em off, degrease and clean em, maybe polish them up, or paint em with high temp black paint like i did. Then get some gaskets, some RTV and put em back on. The whole upper area stays nice and clean when they are new

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
anyone have a pic of this bar? I've never seen it before

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
lol I've never even seen one of those bars

·
RobKong
1,118 Posts
MAT88GT said:
lol I've never even seen one of those bars
That's funny, I coulda sworn there was one from your car in my box of bolts & crap...

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Kev, take a picture of that bar!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts