Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a DR3Z-4033-B GT500 Finned Differential Cover for my 2003 GT. American Mustang states that this will fit 11-14 V6; 86-14 V8, Excluding 99-04 Cobra. It does not. The fins will hit the spare tire wheelwell (see picture). I should have suspected something as I kept having issues with balancing out my rear coilovers. I'd balance them. Drive it. Measure again and one side high, one side low. Adjust, repeat... So, this last weekend I was under that car installing my MM torque arm. The car has to be set at ride height for pinion adjustment. Doing lots of work in the rear area of car and noticed the diff cover is buried into the body.

I really bought this for the drain plug. Cool added bonus was the potential cooling with the fins. So, my options are: put the old one back on OR keep it and machine the offending fins off (so I can still have the drain plug) OR scrap it and look for a different diff cover.

Check out the pictures. You can see where the fins are hitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4th option...BFH the tire well for clearance. (the path I would take at this point)
Ya, that was my first inclination. However, even at full droop, there just isn't enough working room to get a good hit at it. Also, it might be hard too see in the picture, but to make it clear, I would have to displace a lot of that wheelwell. The cleaner way is to retrofit the part or replace it completely..

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
If you machine the cover as much as possible, you will still have to significantly hammer on the spare tire well for this gear cover to not limit rear suspension bump travel. This cover was designed for the S197 chassis. It was never designed to fit any other chassis. I can't believe the number of companies that advertise it for Fox and SN95 use.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is disappointing. Any idea who makes a cover with drain built in that is known to fit the SN95 / New Edge? I also liked the fill feature on this. Easier to access than the front of the diff.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you machine the cover as much as possible, you will still have to significantly hammer on the spare tire well for this gear cover to not limit rear suspension bump travel. This cover was designed for the S197 chassis. It was never designed to fit any other chassis. I can't believe the number of companies that advertise it for Fox and SN95 use.
Just went and checked my 95 and sure as ##### there are dents where the cover made contact. looks like I will be welding a drain bung to my other aluminum cover.

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
If it were my car, I would get an OEM 8.8" cover from an Explorer. On certain years these were made from aluminum, so they weigh less. Weld the correct nuts on the back for drain and fill ports. This cover is several pounds lighter than a cast aluminum cover. One of the Holley companies used to sell a kit you could use the install a drain and fill plug into a gear cover. You drilled a hole in the cover, pushed the nut into it and screwed on a nut on the inside to hold the assembly in place. The main issue with it is that if you use too low of a gear ratio, the part of it on the inside will hit the ring gear. Welding the nut to the outside of the cover avoids all of these issues.

Good:
https://www.amazon.com/Ballistic-Fabrication-Weld-In-Fill-Plug/dp/B06Y65Y99Z

Not good:
https://www.manciniracing.com/bmdrainplugkit.html

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be great. However, I don't have access to the equipment and it would take extra time.

Regarding the Ford Performance Parts Axle Girdle M-4033-G2, I saw the reviews on AM from some with SN95 / New Edge said it fit. I am still a little concerned about the one rib that runs up the left side. Jegs has a sale on right now that will save $10 and free shipping.

This looks promising:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gta-40-2013al/overview/

Everything at the top is clear where I am currently hitting. Just don't know how far out the center logo are sticks out. I'll get my car back on the lift tonight and try to determine if there is any other clearance issue.

I cant remember if I put this on before my PHB or after... Hope its not a pain to pull back off.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone have access to the M-4033-G2 Ford Performance Differential Cover that can get a measurement on the height?

I spoke with another company today, LPW Racing, about their Ultra Cover https://www.lpwracing.com/Ultra_FORD/Ultra_FORD.html . It is advertised as having a height of 3 1/8 height that I confirmed directly with them. Here is more info at JEG's https://www.jegs.com/i/LPW/619/201-8.8/10002/-1

Looking for the lowest clearance...

For what it is worth, the stock stamped cover measures 2.85". The Ford DR3Z-4033-B GT500 Finned Differential Cover that I have now measures 3.06". I am not sure if the 0.21" is enough to make or break the fitment.

I don't know if any of these cast parts will be much less than what I have now. I have machined my DR3Z-4033-B to remove the offending fins. Looks like crap as I did it on an end mill but good enough for fitment test.

I'll report my findings.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is my modified DR3Z-4033-B. I'll mount it this weekend. The cover, at its highest point, now measures 3.02". The fins that were hitting are all gone.. For what it's worth, it weighs 5lb 8.6oz.
m4033k_6407.jpg diff cover 1.JPG diff cover 3.JPG

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Test fit looks good. Based on the clearance that I have I'd bet that the Ford M-4033-G2 or LPW 619-201-8.8 would clear OK.

Here is a picture of the test fit. It's really tough to get good shots in there but you can see where the fins used to hit the wheelwell and how much clearance there is now under full compression. I'd guess there is about 0.5" maybe a little more? I am able to slide my fingers between the cover and body.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts