Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
The pro is, you have a convertable without having a convertable.
The cons.. well for starters they make the car weaker, they always find a way to leak (although in texas i doubt your going to worry about that one) and they can rattle and squeak. I've owned a t-top car and will never buy another one, but my main complaint was the water leakage.

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
Leak like sieves, pain to go anywhere without the T tops, if you park, to secure the car you hae to put them back in. Even then.... its a can of cake to pull the window and open the car.

Did I say the leak like sieves, every rain, most dews... melting snow... it all leaks right where your butt is.

The car flexes a lot more.

Did I say they leak???

Pass on the T top.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I have owned 2 T-top Mustangs, and neither one leaked (BTW Texas gets plenty of rain). The car does flex more, but good subframe connectors will solve that. The drawback I would warn you about is the cost of new weather seals for the T-tops. like $500 per side. I know T-tops will leak if you do not take care of the seals, or replace them when needed, but I have never had a problem myself.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Pro: A vert without the wind beating your back to death.
Con: They are either in or out, no inbetweet like a sunroof car.

I have 2 t top cars, one leaks, one doesn't. The one that leaks I have never tried the gaskets yet just due to expense and it is garage kept.

I love the free air feeling, but just feel unsafe in a vert. I like something still around me.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I think the idea of t-tops is great. What I don't like about t-tops on stangs is that it is very easy to simply grab the window by the top corner pry it back and get into the car. My friend had an 85 GT with t-tops and didn't have leakage issues. Personally, if I found a t-top car in good shape I'd take a serious look at it (providing it was a notchback of course!).

Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have an '87 with T-tops. You can do the weather moldings for less than $500 (both sides) if you do the work yourself.

CON: The one complaint I have is the sun! You can never get out of it. I always have to take a hat with me. The tops are tinted but, not enough.

PROS: I think the cars look ALOT better with T-Tops. Wasn't a hard decision for me. It's great to cruise with the tops out.

If you get the car and it doesn't have subframe connectors on it already, put them on first thing. If you have any concerns about the frame being twisted, get it measured before you put the sub-cons on.

Keith

·
Registered
803 Posts
I had a 86 gt (converted to 93) with t-tops. I LOVED this car, and would give anything to have it back, even though it was almost stock. The roof leaked all the time, but didn't really matter to me. My next car will be t-tops for sure. If i was you i would go for it for sure!

Trevor

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I WISH i had t-tops!! I almost bought an 87GT just because it had T-tops! But once i actually looked at the car, i passed. I ended up buying an 88 with a sunroof and It's a happy medium for me.

I agree with the sun though. My Car is black w/black interior and on hot sunny days i would sweat my ass off! My solution was to make a sunroof sunshade out of an old headliner i had lying around. It fits inside the sunroof and when closed i basically have a solid roof but can still pop it out and remove the roof completely. My sunroof doesn't leak at all. Seals for the sunroof are kinda expensive also ($200 a complete set glass and roof)

WHat I like is that the sunroof is HUGE. It's one of the bigger factory sunroofs i've seen. What sucks is the pillars that are usually open on T-tops are closed up on the sunroof cars. Oh well, big enough for me!

ANyway, just saying that if you dying for T-tops like i was, a sunroof car is not a bad way to settle if you can't find what yoyu want

·
Registered
743 Posts
I had an 86 with t tops, never again. Leaked bad. I did all the weather moldings as mentioned in earlier replies, did nothing. I had to get rid of it before that water leakage rusted out the floorboard.

Oh, I never knew they made a notchback that had t tops?

·
Registered
315 Posts
My 87 Gt has T-Tops and I love them. I ordered the car this way 15 years ago. I almost bought a vert, but glad I went with the T-Tops.They do leak a little but it takes a pretty hard rain to do it and I had a wind noise in it but was easily fixed. I had mine tinted also to help out on the sun thing , but had to build some cheesy looking cardboard inserts to block it out completly. :D

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If you buy it keep plenty of dry towels in the car to put on the seats when it rains or you will have a wet rear end all the time.

I had an '83 with t-tops for 10 years. They leak and the car flexes itself to death. After 6 months of having it I was sorry I bought a car with them (and that was before they started to leak...). I say pass.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am an open air freak, I have a ragtop, and absolutly love it.

I park it for the winter, and this year I bought an 82 GT with t tops as a beater, I have never had anything to do with t tops before and thought I would love them just like a ragtop.

I could not have been more wrong, i hate them, and will never buy another t top car.

PRO's ?

CONS
-No security if you want to leave stuff in your car you have to put the t's back on and lock it (The ragtops roof rarely ever goes up, I just throw any valuables in the trunk)

-Leak like crazy

-wind noise like crazy(even worse then the covertible)

-you get more wind buffeting then you do in a ragtop.

-Takes 15 seconds to steal both T's

I have yet to find anything really positive about a t top car, and sadly I cant find a thing.

My advice to you is buy a ragtop or a sunroof car, stay away from the t top car like the plague:eek:

·
Registered
207 Posts
There is plenty of pros and cons listed here. My tops leak, but the car is fortunate to have a garage now, don't drive it in the rain. The biggest con, the doors. The track on my windows are worn and it make putting the windows up a pain. They don't go up straight unless guided by hand. Nobody makes aftermarket doors and they are hard to find replacements. I found a set once they were 1/2 as bad as mine and the guy wan't $275 ea. You can use covertable doors and change the glass, of course that is only if the bottom of your doors are rusted like mine. I leave the tops off all summer. It is a pain putting tops of and on, but only takes as second, just as quick as putting a covert top up and down. I put 2 hidden switches, one for to kill the MSD and on the fuel pump. So I don't get worried to much about security.

I think t-tops look right at home on 4 eye GTs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The biggest issue I have found with T-Top cars is that they are very weak. I would say these cars are weaker than any convertible (Convertibles have extra supports everywhere - T-Tops have nothing). The way these cars were made: A huge section of the roof is cut away along with the structural supports, then a reinforcement sheetmetal plate was POP-RIVETED in. What a joke. I found out the hard way...after a minor accident in 1993. My '83 GT ripped almost completely in two right behind the front seats. The only thing holding the car together was a brake line and six inches of the right quarter panel. I spent over a year recovering from that accident. I would not have been hurt at all if it wasn't for the T-Tops. The morral of the story: If you want a T-Top car, make sure it has a good set of frame connectors proffessionaly welded in - You never know when you might need them.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
You know what, I'll even tell you to stay away from sunroof cars too. I had one of those and the problem wasn't the sunroof leaking, but rust. Sooner or later they will rust around the top and the a-post. That said, I loved having the sunroof until that issue reared it's ugly head. Seeing as the Fox cars are getting older now, you really have to consider this if you are buying for the long term.

If you get a car with a solid roof, you'll be happier. FWIW, I've had 2 notches and 2 hatchbacks and the notches were always "tighter" cars. YMMV...

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I think that by using the Griggs in-floor frame kit, along with quality under car subframe connectors (Global West in my case) you not only solve the strength issue, but also the leak issue. The reason the tops end up leaking, in my opinion, has everything to do with the constant flexing of the car, causing the seal to deteriorate over time.
I love my T-tops, and would rather take preventive steps to head off any problems, rather than give them up.
Sure, it is easy to break into a T-top car, my last 85 GT was stolen that way, but it is also pretty easy to make the car a very difficult vehicle to steal, unless it is towed. Convertibles are easier to break into, all you have to do is cut the top open. Any car is relatively easy to break into, and a determined theif is not going to be stopped by anything.
it comes down to personal preference. In my case, I like T-tops, and am willing to take the risk of theft, and put up with the con's associated with them, while enjoying the pro's.

·
Registered
267 Posts
427Windsorman said:
I love my T-tops, and would rather take preventive steps to head off any problems, rather than give them up.
Sure, it is easy to break into a T-top car, my last 85 GT was stolen that way, but it is also pretty easy to make the car a very difficult vehicle to steal, unless it is towed. Convertibles are easier to break into, all you have to do is cut the top open. Any car is relatively easy to break into, and a determined theif is not going to be stopped by anything.
it comes down to personal preference. In my case, I like T-tops, and am willing to take the risk of theft, and put up with the con's associated with them, while enjoying the pro's.

I think you misunderstand my point about security.

I am not talking about theft of the entire car, I am talking about theft of stuff in the car, with a convertible you have a trunk in which to store cd's faceplate for stereo or whatever, you at least have somewhere secure to store it while you are at the beach or in a store or whatever.

I leave my roof down the entire season, unless it is raining the roof does not go up, and i dont need to worry about someone stealing my cd's or stereo because they are locked up in the trunk.

as far as car theft, I really dont think it makes a difference, I a car thief wants your car he will end up with it, breaking a t top is no easier then a window(and only a little louder then cutting a roof).

I will live with my t top car but I will not buy another one, and I can not wait until my ragtop back on the road.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts