Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorta getting interested into the 4 eye stangs. Have an 89 right now that I am just not sure where to go with (body and interior) and was thinking of buying another car and using the 89 as a donor for anything it would need.

Would it be difficult to transfer a fuel injected motor into a 4 eye? Anything about them to look out for? Or just anything at all that would be helpful to know when considering purchasing one?

·
Registered
743 Posts
The only con that I know of is that Ive heard the dashes have a tendency to crack from sunlight, worse than normal. Dont know if thats entirely true, but mine did that and I was told it was fairly common. It really takes a great appreciation to admire a 4 eyed, I plan to own another 86 in the future

·
Registered
24 Posts
I put an 88 EFI 5.0 in my pace car, It was pretty straight up Just alot of testing wires with a volt meter and trial and eror to get the EFI to work right. I got some wireing harness diagrams off the internet that helped alot.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Biggest con I know of is the puny brakes on the pre87 cars. 87-93s were scary at best but pre 87s were even worse. Also all 4eyes except the 86 has the puny 7.5 rear.
Both of these probs are easily upgraded but just a headsup.

Pro is just a tough looking car from the front!

·
Registered
226 Posts
check out the Mercury Capri

the bulging fenders look mean!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I LUV my 86GT. :)

Some 4 year old kid ran up to my car at Sonic, dragging daddy along and kind moaned out "Woooooaaaaaa.... Awesome carrrrr." in about the same tone a 4 year old would make when being shown the new judo-chop action on his friend's GI Joe. ;)

:lol:

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
The brakes are PITIFUL. Swapping over to stock 87-93 brakes is an upgrade (yeah thats hard to imaging).

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Mostly pro's.

As someone already mentioned, pick up an 86, you get the efi, and the 8.8 rear. It has crappy cylinder heads, but that can be easily fixed with 87+ e7 heads.

As far as aftermarket....It is the same damn car as 87+, so everything for 87+ works for the 86 too, of course there are always exceptions.

I think the 85/86 front end is the meanest looking of all the foxes, and you definetly get a different mustang that most people are not used to seeing!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yeah, a plus is definitely that you don't see them all over the place... When I'm driving my '88, I see other 87-93 mustangs all day long...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts