Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping you guys could help me.

I have an '02 GT and am considering switching from the stock 3.27 gears to a set of 3.73's. My question is what effect will this have on my car? It is a daily driver with no mods currently (minor mods are planned ... no supercharger, etc.)

I'm wondering about the good and the bad ... sure it will get the engine into its powerband faster (BIG plus), but what effect does it have on mileage, RPM's when highway cruising, etc.

The other part of my question is do gears wear out? Should I be buying new, or is a used set perfectly good?

Any help that can be offered by someone who has made the switch would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, are 3.73's the right gear for an otherwise stock car? Or should I be considering 3.55's?

·
Registered
82 Posts
the 4.6l mustang rev a lot higher than the 5.0 i got a 3.73 in mine with a stock motor and the cars is more in the powerband. i think you sould go with 3.90 or 4.10! if i change mine i'll putt 4.10

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I agree 3.73's were a nice change from 3.08 but If I had to do it again I'd do 4.10 since I haven't lost any gas mileage with the 3.73's But either gear is nice. The old rule of thumb was 5.0=3.73 and 4.6=4.10 or higher.

That was when I bought mine two+ years ago and now I wish I had gone 4.10. My 2c

-Dale

·
Registered
784 Posts
I need to change the gears before I put my 2.95 first T-5 back in. The 0.59 fifth was super low with the 2.73's it feels SOOO much better with the good ol 0.68's now. I was thinking of 3.73's as well.

Crusing with the low 5th will be great I am worried on how 4th will be with the 3.73's vs the 3.55's

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
3.73's = great

i lost 1 mpg from 3.08's

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I had a 2002 GT and I went to 3.73 with an auto, wish I would of went 4.10. If it is a 5 speed then 3.73 will be fine.

Get ford racing gears, they are the best in my opinion, richmond gears wine to much.

Good luck on what gear you choose. Also this forum does have a 4.6 mod engine section that can help you further :)

·
Please call me Mike
1,602 Posts
I have a 90 vert i went with 4.10 cause of the weight difference. I could not be happier. if the car in you pic is yours i would go with at least 4.10s since the new stangs are heavier than the older one and have a smaller motor. granted they have more power but low end i am not sure about.

·
Registered
64 Posts
3.73 for an auto,
4.10s for mannual...!

however, if u plan on using it at the track often, 4.10s without a doubt...!

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I've got 3.73s in my vert with the 2.95 first and .59 od. Gas mileage isnt that big of a factor if you keep your foot out of it. I've even heard of some people getting better gas mileage do to the torque multiplication of a lower gear. Takes less power to get the car moving. Dont be afraid of the 3.73s if its an auto consider the 4.10s. As far as new versus used yes gears do wear especially if they weren't installed correctly. If you can find a set from somebody you know and trust go for it mine are used. If not Diversified Products sell new ford racing gears for $139.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
the new mod motors like said above will rev alot higher than the pushrod motors, 4.10s are your ticket. I have 3.73s in my 5.0 and love them, but with the way those motors do, i would say 4.10s

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
i have 373's in my 5.0, gas mileage went up in the city buy about 2 mpg.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think you will be happy with either. As far as hwy is concerned you will run more RPM but not enough to make that much of a difference unless you run 80 and 90 MPH on a consistent basses. It sounds like you are a lot like me a nice daily drive but want some more red light to red light speed, but not an all out race car. I know you have a 4.6, I have a 5.0 and went with 355 only because I got them for $200.00 installed from one of the mechanics at the Ford dealership were I work. If not for that I would have gone with 373, and that’s what I would suggest.

·
Formerly known as 20thAniv
1,275 Posts
Buy a new set with whatever one you choose. I bought a used set of 3.73s for my car and they looked pretty good. The wear pattern was right on and everything. What I didn't know, that I learned after putting them in, is that unless you get them lined up EXACTLY where they were in the car before yours, they are going to whine. I took it apart 2 times trying to get it right and could never get them to stop whining. I ended up buying a brand new set and I'm going to be putting them in this week. Basically I threw away money because I thought I could save some by getting the used ones.:mad:

·
Registered
115 Posts
FastGT94 said:
I agree 3.73's were a nice change from 3.08 but If I had to do it again I'd do 4.10 since I haven't lost any gas mileage with the 3.73's But either gear is nice. The old rule of thumb was 5.0=3.73 and 4.6=4.10 or higher.

That was when I bought mine two+ years ago and now I wish I had gone 4.10. My 2c

-Dale
I think MMFF said 3.73's if you got a pair, 3.55's if your wife keeps them in her purse!
I started out with 2.73's with an AOD:)barf: ) Friend gave me his old 3.27's, and it made a nice difference. converted to stick,and then went 3.73's.
Works great, but two problems
1.When you are cruising, people swear you are haulin' asz
2. Hwy cruising speed will be affected. You don't notice it so much IF you drive the speed limit:evil:

With that in mind, I feel I should have gone 4.10's especially if you like ripping them of the line.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I second elmo89

Cruising at 80-85, I'm cruising at almost 3000 rpms. With a stock exhaust, it would be tolerable. With a prochamber and straight-through mufflers, it's intolerable over long distances.

Pitchar

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought my car used...not knowing it had 3:73s. I just thought my mustang hauled major ass....i felt like i could beat anything. 1st gear is nothing at all....i think with 4:10s I would have to shift a bit too much (most of my driving is city driving)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I just had 4.10's installed yesterday, got the kit from Chris at RedlineRacing for 235.00. Ring and Pinion and master bearing kit. We changed every bearing and seal in the entire rear end, including axle bearings and seals. Get with Chris at RedlineRacing, he will do you right.

As far as the gear, I havent noticed a "whole lot" of difference in the 4.10's as compared to the factory 3.27's as far as daily driving goes. I figured I would notice a BIG difference, but so far its no where near as low geared as I thought it would be. I still have to install the SpeedCal to correct my speedo, which is about 10mph off it seems, but I couldnt see much difference in "sotp" feel between the 2 gears.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts