Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I'm looking for some feedback on Kenney Bell's BAP. I have a 99GT and was planing on installing a 2003 Cobra Pump with a Novi 2000 Non Tuned system. However, I don't know if I want the hassle of buying a Cobra tank or modifying my fuel tank. What are the pros and cons of a BAP? Please keep your feedback specific to a returnless fuel system. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
rlucky said:
Hello all,
I'm looking for some feedback on Kenney Bell's BAP. I have a 99GT and was planing on installing a 2003 Cobra Pump with a Novi 2000 Non Tuned system. However, I don't know if I want the hassle of buying a Cobra tank or modifying my fuel tank. What are the pros and cons of a BAP? Please keep your feedback specific to a returnless fuel system. Thanks!
If you don't want to mess with the expense and installation of the 03 Cobra and pump you could opt for the Chicane Fuel pump.
It is desinged to work with our returnless fuel system cars and comes complete with a modified bucket.. I believe it is around $289.00 or in that neighborhood. There was just a group purchase on these pumps and they went for $269.00.
Either way a much less expensive option then the Cobra tank and pump..

The Kenne Bell BAP is not really a pump but a voltage stabilizer or increaser.... Basically it increases the voltage to the fuel pump at higher rpms to protect it from voltage drop.... You can always run the Chicane type pump along with the BAP... But I don't think it's necessary.....

You may also contact Pete at Fordchip.com He also sells a very good Fuel pump designed for the Returnless fuel system.
I believe it is very similar to the Chicane type pump...

I have been running a Walbro GSS342 for the last year and a half and haven't had much problems with it. I do get a little surge upon high speed decelleration and my Air/Fuel ratio is a bit wavy..
To be safe I am upgrading my fuel pump as well... Just as a safety precaution....

Good luck with your car..

Tom in Indy

·
Registered
493 Posts
Have you looked into Steedas Dual Fuel pumps?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I run a BAP with the stock pump, no problems. Depends on your goals for the vehicle. Probably is a good idea to check into some of the newly available pumps. The Walbros are not meant for returnless systems. If you ask them they will say not to use their pumps in these systems.

Nick
2000 GT
Vortech SQ
13.25 @ 109.23

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you looked into Steedas Dual Fuel pumps?

Steeda's pump and the 2003 Cobra are the same. But thanks for your response. I actually have this pump already but I'm thinkig about just adding a BAP instead buying a Cobra tank to make work correctly.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt, but this is what I have gathered about the BAP.

The BAP is nothing more than a more powerful amplifier for the fuel pump than the stock setup. It seems that on cars that require more fuel than a stock setup the pump draws to much power from the stock pump amplifier at higher rpms. Basically the higher the rpm the more fuel the pump needs to flow, and thus the more power the pump needs. What seems to happen is that the stock amplifier just does not have the power to keep the voltage up and it starts to drop. The droping voltage runs the pump slower than it should be running, and the fuel pressure starts to drop. This usually means the the a/f ratio will start to lean out. The BAP has better power electronics in it that allow it to keep the voltage level up so that the pump can run at its full flow rate at higher rpms. Also, the BAP has a gain control on it so that you can tweak the computers voltage signal. This allows you to "amplify" the stock voltage output to help adjust your a/f if needed. It does not replace buying a larger, higher flowing fuel pump if that is what your application requires. It just lets you get 100% out of the pump you have now.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Re: Have you looked into Steedas Dual Fuel pumps?

rlucky said:
Steeda's pump and the 2003 Cobra are the same. But thanks for your response. I actually have this pump already but I'm thinkig about just adding a BAP instead buying a Cobra tank to make work correctly.
Yes, but the Steeda pumps will fit your GT's gas tank.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The BAP is a 1.5:1 voltage amplifer. You put in 12volts it puts out 18 volts. I've measured nearly 22 volts going to my pump at times during high load testing. You get much more than 100 percent out of the pump. Closer to 150 percent.

I've been running it like that nearly two and a half years with 0 problems. When I parked the car for the winter 3310 car was trapping near 119 mph running 11.7-11.8.

Other things to note. I did recently buy a Steeda dual pump. It was a Ford 03 Cobra pump. If you run either of these dual pump setups in a returnless car replace the tank.

You can run the Chicane pump which I have no experience with but what would concern me is that with its' flow numbers it could expose some other design weakness with the plastic bucket. To correct those only exposes other problems with fuel level. IMHO the best all around solution and for upgrades is the dual pump with the 03 tank.

Ed

·
Registered
729 Posts
I had mine installed a few months ago. I think it works great. I'm making about 350 rwhp. On the stock pump, my FP was dropping to ~ 20# when in boost. After installing the BAP, the FP behaves like a 100% stock car. Stays solid around 45#. For 99+ cars, there's nothing to it. Just install it, turn up the dial all the way, and forget about it. The BAP only comes into play when the stock FP's voltage range is maxed out. The BAP basically extends the usable voltage range.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Here is my .02, which is probably worth even less!LOL When I had the blower installed 3 years ago I came on here and asked about BAP's. Most people said that it was a "band aid" way to deal with the fuel problem for our cars and that I would be doing a rebuild soon! My tuner told me that this would work well at a decent cost and to not worry about it. I trusted him and 3 years later, 10K miles, and about 200 passes I have had 0 problems. There are several ways to setup the BAP, but I have mine so that it is activated by an RPM switch. So under normal driving I see 28-30psi and under boost I see 60psi which drops to 55psi by redline. I think Ed and 99RioRedVert have the pump set so that it is "working" all the time? I have been debating also to upgrade the fuel system with the 03 setup but since I haven't had issues it is tough to spend that money. I will probably still upgrade but I wouldn't hesitate to use a BAP and feel safe. Again just my .02. later Ron

·
Registered
527 Posts
Here is a link to the BAP offical page.
http://www.kennebell.net/accessories/boostapump/boostapump.htm

Edward Clark said:
The BAP is a 1.5:1 voltage amplifer. You put in 12volts it puts out 18 volts. I've measured nearly 22 volts going to my pump at times during high load testing. You get much more than 100 percent out of the pump. Closer to 150 percent.

I've been running it like that nearly two and a half years with 0 problems. When I parked the car for the winter 3310 car was trapping near 119 mph running 11.7-11.8.
Ed
So you have never had any problems over-driving the pump by 150%. I would think that would shorten the life of the pump. I guess you only had it for 2.5 years though, probably not enough to tell.

Were you running the 99+ returnless fuel system? Did the BAP give you any problems with it? Did you need to get a custum tune to make the fuel system work properly?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
SliderGT said:
Here is a link to the BAP offical page.
http://www.kennebell.net/accessories/boostapump/boostapump.htm

So you have never had any problems over-driving the pump by 150%. I would think that would shorten the life of the pump. I guess you only had it for 2.5 years though, probably not enough to tell.

Were you running the 99+ returnless fuel system? Did the BAP give you any problems with it? Did you need to get a custum tune to make the fuel system work properly?
Never a problem. In fact it's lasted longer than most Walbros installed in the returnless pumps have. Mainly because your only overdriving the pump when it needs it. If you have enough fuel pressure the comptuer won't send any more drive. That only works out to a few seconds at a time and the pump is cooled by fuel.

I was running the returnless system with the only mods being 42 pound injectors, BAP and removed the rubber flapper valve in the bucket. That's it. My Chip was burnt for a Walbro 317T as was Karl's. No other changes were required. Mind you these cars did have the WOT fuel tables tweaked during dyno tuning. Swapping from a Walbro back to stock with the BAP or vise versa may result in different fuel/air curves due to minor fuel pressure variations.

Ed

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I've had the BAP installed for about a year now. I had my car tuned last summer by FordChip and after the tune I had some weird problem with the car falling flat on it's face in certain instances of going WOT. Basically, if I was at WOT and would take too long to shift and go WOT again there's a delay before the car starts moving again. It jolts you forward and then back for a split second because it acts like it's not getting any fuel at all. The FordChip guys were thinking that the BAP voltage wasn't kicking back in fast enough or something like that. I never had this problem before with the BAP before this tune.. so.. just dunno. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Edward Clark said:
Never a problem. In fact it's lasted longer than most Walbros installed in the returnless pumps have. Mainly because your only overdriving the pump when it needs it. If you have enough fuel pressure the comptuer won't send any more drive. That only works out to a few seconds at a time and the pump is cooled by fuel.

I was running the returnless system with the only mods being 42 pound injectors, BAP and removed the rubber flapper valve in the bucket. That's it. My Chip was burnt for a Walbro 317T as was Karl's. No other changes were required. Mind you these cars did have the WOT fuel tables tweaked during dyno tuning. Swapping from a Walbro back to stock with the BAP or vise versa may result in different fuel/air curves due to minor fuel pressure variations.

Ed
So, Ed, what do you think is the safe performance limit of a stock pump with BAP, considering you chose to switch to the Cobra setup? I mentioned before that I'd like to reach 400 rwhp or so. Should I be looking at the Cobra setup? Its a fair chunk of change. I'd like to stay with what I have, if possible.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
GitDat said:
I've had the BAP installed for about a year now. I had my car tuned last summer by FordChip and after the tune I had some weird problem with the car falling flat on it's face in certain instances of going WOT. Basically, if I was at WOT and would take too long to shift and go WOT again there's a delay before the car starts moving again. It jolts you forward and then back for a split second because it acts like it's not getting any fuel at all. The FordChip guys were thinking that the BAP voltage wasn't kicking back in fast enough or something like that. I never had this problem before with the BAP before this tune.. so.. just dunno. :rolleyes:
Sounds like one of two things maybe.

BAP installed backwards, or installed with the hobbs switch.

Mine ran all the time. The leads that go to the hobbs switch are simply tied together, setting is max. This way it's always on and the computer still has full control of FP and doesn't have to deal with the surging on and off of the BAP.

Ed

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
99RioRedVert said:
So, Ed, what do you think is the safe performance limit of a stock pump with BAP, considering you chose to switch to the Cobra setup? I mentioned before that I'd like to reach 400 rwhp or so. Should I be looking at the Cobra setup? Its a fair chunk of change. I'd like to stay with what I have, if possible.
Karl,

I don't know. I never found it.

We need to talk sometime about your goals. I do think that you would be better off going with the 03 Cobra fuel pump/tank setup. After playing with this returnless stuff for the last couple years I think it's the best solution going so far. Slap that BAP on that 03 Cobra setup and you could really support a lot of power without going to a return system. Then if that isn't enough 2 Chicane pumps in place of the 03 cobra pumps will really do it.... then stick a BAP on them.... see what I mean? It provides an easy upgrade path. Yes, I know lines and rails become an issue at some point.

We have to learn how to work with this stuff and it looks as if now we have something to play with.

IMHO anyway..... :)

Ed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts