Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering an EFI to carb swap and was wondering what the advantages would be and what the disadvantages would be. The car is a '93 5.0 that is not a daily driver and has an ocassional trip down the drag strip. My plans are to install a nitrous kit and to make more trips to the track this year. Any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My reason was lower cost, ease to work on, and better looking....

Mine should be ready to fire up in about a month.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
simplicity.

check out the forum in my sig.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
cost, easier to make more power, etc :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
We are in a age where nothing can touch the perfection of the computer cpu. EFI is better in all regards. But choose what suits your needs.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think it boild down to tuning.

At higher power levels, the EFI might need custom tuning to keep good street manners. Some guys are comfortable buying a Tweecer or PMS to tune it or get custom chips burned.

Other guys would rather tune a carb.

I swapped to carburation because I could not cure the surging idle I had with my EFI combo. I tried lots of different things and it was starting to get expensive trying to cure the surge.

In the end I narrowed the choice to getting a Tweecer or selling th EFI stuff and going carburated.

Cost wise it was about a draw. I have about $800 in the carb setup. After selling the EFI stuff, the price dropped to about the price of a Tweecer RT.

Tom

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
EFI isn't better in all regards.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'd do a search. There have been about 12 posts on this and lots of good info and opinions.

By the way 393bird, take lots of pictures because all the shiny beauty fads with age, it really sucks. Nice setup though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
493 Posts
Fast90LXStang said:
EFI isn't better in all regards.
whatever you say.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Crappy EFI will never beat a carb but EFI can in the end be better. The problems is that you need sophisticated stuff to tune EFI so that stops some people. The other problem is that most EFI manifolds are Biotch manifolds that kill power potential at higher rpms. With the way things are going EFI is getting very good and the converted manifolds are one way to keep EFI AND get a decent cost effective manifold.

·
Registered
35,890 Posts
I believe it ultimately comes down to a matter of personal preference. Most of the pros/cons can be argued either way, or are subjective (easier to tune, better looking, etc.). Folks who understand efi think it's easier to tune, the opposite for those who understand carbs, or don't understand efi. Same for appearance. Fuel economy can be good with either, same with drivability and performance -- maybe a topend HP nod to carb; bottom end torque nod to efi, but fairly minor differences with comparable set ups. Cost - if you're starting from scratch with no components, a carb set up is less expensive whether buying new or used. However, if you're converting from efi to carb, by the time you're done with the conversion, it can be more costly than you might think -- although selling off your efi components can help offset it.

I think the only area that's worth mentioning (the rest is just up to what you like/want to do) is emissions control. It sounds like it's a non-issue where you are. But if the car came with efi, it won't be legal with a carb. If any kind of visual is done by someone with half a brain, it won't pass. If only the sniffer test is done, it's very difficult, if not impossible, to get a efi-to-carb conversion car to pass the emissions levels set out for the efi car. And because of the emissions issues, resale value and logistics can be impacted. There's simply less of a market for one that's been modded in a way where you might not be able to move it to another location and get it registered, etc.

In the end, it's all just stuff to consider - do what you want/like. After all, it's your car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts