Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm desperate........I need answers fast. My car is just about together, and I was supposed to race it at smackdown on Friday. I was told I need to get at LEAST 500 miles on it before I beat it to death. If that's the case, I'm gonna be stuck driving the dog-ass slow POS LX. :mad: Can anyone give me a straight answer, because I've heard about 30 different ones so far, ranging from 5 minutes, all the way up to that 500 miles. :confused:

·
Registered
802 Posts
I too have always heard that you should put about 500 miles on a motor before just beating it to death. I would put at least 500 miles, you don't wanna ruin your brand new 347 just for one pass do you?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
tording said:
I too have always heard that you should put about 500 miles on a motor before just beating it to death. I would put at least 500 miles, you don't wanna ruin your brand new 347 just for one pass do you?
and not only one pass, but a day of passes :(

it WAS due to go to a day of racing where a bunch of us rent the track for the day and race all day long that only happens once a year.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, I don't wanna ruin the new motor..........that's why I was asking first. I'm just not to happy that I'm gonna have to go humiliate myself in the LX. It looks good and all, but it runs like complete crap. I guess the long awaited 347 will have to wait till it gets those 500 miles. :(

·
Registered
591 Posts
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61056&highlight=break+in+period

This is a good thread as a starting point. The main thing is just varying RPM's and changing the oil a few times. A few good heat cycles (warm up/cool down) and you should be good to go. Keep an eye on oil pressure, etc also. Do a search and you should probably find some more good info.

Are the specs and such on your website? Good luck with it!!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Alot say that the rings seat in first 10 minutes or so of runnnig but for the money you have invested I would put a few oil changes behind you before beating on it. I know when I fire my 331 I'll bring up to temp, check for leaks, set timing then change oil. Put 500 miles on it never going over 5000rpm then change oil again. Too much invested and unfortunately dont quite have $100 bills falling out of pockets so I'm cautious.

·
Corral Charter Member
4,633 Posts
A friend of mine got his new motor together the day before a race last month, drove the car 35 miles to the track, and that was his break-in period. I thought he was crazy, but the car went 10.4X @ 130+

1 - 7 of 7 Posts