Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here is the deal. I currently have a new (in crate) FRP Boss 363 short block, new (in box) AFR 205 renegade heads, custom comp cams solid roller cam, comp cams elite solid roller lifters, comp cams ultra pro magnum roller rockers, victor efi intake, 75 mm Accufab throttle body, Vortech s-trim supercharger with mondo bypass and Anderson power pipe, as well as many other items such as ignition, canton pan, arp hardware, etc. This was going to go into a 90 mustang hatchback, but this car is being sold. I have a 65 falcon 2door hardtop that I have wanted to build for many years and have decided to start it with the sale of the stang. We will be using a full tube chassis and cage by Chris Alston Chassisworks, a-arm front suspension and 4-link rear with narrowed fab 9. This will be a pro-street setup that will be driven on the street (70%) and will be raced occasionally (30%) I want serious power and have decide to go with a large roots style blower and Fast efi (plan to put the Vortech system, intake, and TB up for sale soon). When I originally got the Falcon several years ago, the plan was to build a stroked BBF (545-557) with a Blower. I hate to part with all the new SBF parts that I have now and could put a 8:71 on the 363, but think that the BBF would be more impressive and produce a lot more power and torque than the 363, not to mention have the Big block sound. I would like to be around 1000hp with a race tune and would like to get 8's in the quarter mile. Again, this car must be streetable as we plan to do the hot rod power tour and will go to car cruise-ins when it's completed. I know that turbos will be suggested as they make big horsepower and are the hot ticket, but I want to stick with the roots blower to have the look and sound of an old school pro street/promod. Any suggestions, thoughts and input on what direction you would go and why would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would minitub and cage the falcons chassis and use a aftermarket front sub designed for a first gen mustang. I'm not big fan of the one size fits all Alston or jegster chassis.....kinda outdated.
I'd also stick with your sbf. It'll sure as hell reach your goals with a turbo or a big cent. Charger. As for the big roots blower......talk yourself outta that.I'm a big fan of prostreet but at least go a little more modern.

·
Registered
611 Posts
For sure get away from the roots style 8:71. Thats a big noisy over rated pos in my opinion... Not to mention the drivability of it. If you have to have a blower go with an F2 or F1R. It will still sound cool, make alot more power than the 8:71 and be a nice compact package under the hood.

If it were me I would do twin 67s on it... just saying

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may re-consider a centrifugal set up and go with a Procharged F2 setup. I will do a little more research on them. I do not believe the vortech I have will accomplish what I am looking to do (it would be a good set up for a daily driver/street car). Will the F2 and a cog setup have the blower whine a roots blower will have or similar?

·
Registered
611 Posts
the s-trim is limited to 650-700 rwhp. You can buy an YSI head unit and bolt it into your s-trim brackets to go the cheaper route. You will have to buy larger bypass. The YSI will make around 1000 (1200 crank hp)rwhp on kill. Yes, the centrifical chargers will get noisy like an 8:71 with a cog setup. Auto Specialties (ASP) sells the vortech retrofit cog kit setups for around $500. The F2 is rated for 1600 flywheel HP and it will definitely reach your goal. The good thing about a centrifical charger is you can intercool it fairly easy with a front mount intercooler. The old school roots style generate alot of heat and cannot run a whole lot of boost running around on the street. However, the latest style roots blowers (kennie bell) run a heat exchanger/air to water cooler under the blower to control the heat generated and they now have one that is good for 1500 hp. The probem is they only offer them for the mod motors though.. Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.