Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here we go... I hope this doesn't turn out to be a monolith 79 paint in the works thread. =)

I bought a 91 LX from quik (Rusty) here on the corral. I think I got a great deal! The car has 4.10's in the 8.8, aftermarket control arms, drag shocks, re-enforced welds, 4pt roll bar, tubular sub-frame connectors, drive shaft loop, red urthane everywhere and a really straight body.

I have the seemingly impossible task of getting this thing driving in less than a month. I have a slew of parts ordered and still need a few more such as a clutch and headlights... gonna part out the 86 4 eye to build this one. I hate to give up on the 86, I have had it for several years but I don't feel like putting new floors in and the 7.5 won't hold up long so considering I got this car for the same price as an 8.8 I was looking for... bye 4 eye.

Here are some begining pics, I hope to have more next weekend when I get started:

The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

The Begining

The End (for the 86)

My first step is to clean and smooth under the hood, nothing major like a show car but either order some stuff from ScottRod or cut my own panels. Wish me luck...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nice post lots of pics! :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Looks like it got hit in the nose on the left side? Inner left fender apron looks mangled. Looks like a good start though.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like it got hit in the nose on the left side? Inner left fender apron looks mangled. Looks like a good start though.
Nah, It was a HUGE Turbo in that hole. =) The guy I got it from sold the fender.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Wow - 1 month!! That will be impressive. Look forward to seeing your progress along the way. Having owned an 82 GT I think a moment of silence is in order to honor the 86.......

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I am starting to doubt the 1 month deal, had to make a goal tho. I think I may put the 86 nose on, prolly get a lot of boos but I really like the look.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I thought it was going to take me 6 months to do my car, well, 2 years later and its just going in for paint lol

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of shape are the doors in on the 86? I need to replace the doors on my 85 Capri
I have not payed attention to be honest. They appear to be nice but probably have rust at the bottoms, considering the floor boards are toast. If you like, I can take pictures this weekend.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Couple pics of the engine, gonna find a new intake for the dual stage nitrous kit I got.

In the Old Car:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couple Updates

Got it in the Garage

Got the wires off

Got the rust off

Made a cardboard template

Sheet metal from JC Whitney

Undercoated bare metal

Starting the Spot Weld

Had to stop here, my welder stopped feeding the wire and I was too tired to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had help today... Didn't get much done but had a great time with the help!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the panel welded in, grinded down, fillered up and smoothed out... Sounds like something at waffle house =)

Took a lot longer than I thought it would, I had to go get a new grinder. i LOVE this little $14 deal at Harbor Freight!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you VERY much Rusty. i love the car and appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The panels you made are a dead match for a car I did for my buddy.When its all done they looked sweet better than anything you can buy.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
looks like a nice project you have there, btw what breed of dog is that?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Nice work, more pics will be needed !!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Guys! The dog is a boxer. I will have a bunch more pics as I progress.
Like said earlier, this definitely will not be a show car. The goal is to have a clean daily driver that will see some strip duty.

I had a slow down phase getting stuck in the hospital for a week and now I have to work a little slower but the goal is still to get it in running condition fairly quick and then tweak the body and interior and have that ready for paint before end of summer. I am painting it (for now) flat black with the stripe down the middle I made in my avatar. debating on making the weld wheels satin or black.

Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finished the panel. Primers still wet, don't touch! =)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts