Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have a 1987 foxbody with a bottom stock 302. I am running GT40 3 bar heads with the GT40 tubular Intake. I really like the look of the Proform Ford Racing Valve covers summit racing part number is 302-135, but I am afraid that they will not work with my setup. Is anyone currently running these, Im curious as to what all would I have to change or fabricate to run these successfully. I am running an Anderson N41 cam and will upgrade to roller rockers in the future so these cover will eventually become useful. Thank you for your time.

·
Dean Scheidt
3,481 Posts
I recently installed the 302-147 valve covers. These came unfinished so I could have them powder-coated the same color as my intake. These are taller than stock so I'm assuming you'll need a good size intake spacer to make these work. It was no problem with the box intake. I attached some pictures of my setup and also a link to a thread with some actual measurements. Good luck, Dean.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/2334186-proform-ford-racing-slant-edge-valve-cover-height.html

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I see you are running the pass side grommer to a vent tube on your intake and the driver side to the catch can on the passenger side but where does the second hose from the catch can run to? To the pcv valve tube in the intake?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently installed the 302-147 valve covers. These came unfinished so I could have them powder-coated the same color as my intake. These are taller than stock so I'm assuming you'll need a good size intake spacer to make these work. It was no problem with the box intake. I attached some pictures of my setup and also a link to a thread with some actual measurements. Good luck,
Dean.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0...ord-racing-slant-edge-valve-cover-height.html

So I see you are running the pass side grommer to a vent tube on your intake and the driver side to the catch can on the passenger side but where does the second hose from the catch can run to? To the pcv valve tube in the intake?

·
Dean Scheidt
3,481 Posts
That is correct. The passenger side valve cover is the fresh air inlet from the intake tube. The driver side valve cover has the PCV valve connected to the catch can then the catch can connected to vacuum port on upper intake. So far with these valve covers, I don't seem to be pulling much oil at all from the valve cover so I might be able to get rid of the catch can.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Hi guys I have a 1987 foxbody with a bottom stock 302. I am running GT40 3 bar heads with the GT40 tubular Intake. I really like the look of the Proform Ford Racing Valve covers summit racing part number is 302-135, but I am afraid that they will not work with my setup. Is anyone currently running these, Im curious as to what all would I have to change or fabricate to run these successfully. I am running an Anderson N41 cam and will upgrade to roller rockers in the future so these cover will eventually become useful. Thank you for your time.
I looking at these same valve covers for my car was wondering if you ended up trying them out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looking at these same valve covers for my car was wondering if you ended up trying them out.

I sure did man and they look fantastic with the GT40 Tubular and a 1” intake spacer. Fit was perfect for me, no need to modify anything. Also Im running EV6 injectors and the connectors with adapters did not even touch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I sure did man and they look fantastic with the GT40 Tubular and a 1” intake spacer. Fit was perfect for me, no need to modify anything. Also Im running EV6 injectors and the connectors with adapters did not even touch.
I ended up getting them for my car and making them work for what I needed. I added a sealed breather system and oil fill cap.

I ended up running a 1/2 inch spacer and modifying the throttle cable bracket to make it fit with my cobra intake. I wanted to keep the stock hood so the 1/2 spacer was the biggest one I could put on the car and keep the stock hood. Yours turned out really nice love the GT40 tube intake.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I ended up getting them for my car and making them work for what I needed. I added a sealed breather system and oil fill cap.

I ended up running a 1/2 inch spacer and modifying the throttle cable bracket to make it fit with my cobra intake. I wanted to keep the stock hood so the 1/2 spacer was the biggest one I could put on the car and keep the stock hood. Yours turned out really nice love the GT40 tube intake.
Very clean looking. What is a sealed breather system? I noticed you have the valve cover vent hose moved to the driver's side valve cover.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Very clean looking. What is a sealed breather system? I noticed you have the valve cover vent hose moved to the driver's side valve cover.
I have it running to the driver side since there wasn't any oil baffle on the passenger side of the of the valve cover. The stock breather system on the car is a sealed system its when the crank case pressure doesn't vent to the air it gets recirculated back into the intake. When the car is under light load the breather connection on the throttle body puts fresh air into the crank case that gets vented through the PCV valve back into the intake. When its under heavy load the air will push out through the PCV valve and the valve cover into the intake track. That's why when people don't run oil baffles on there valve covers they suck oil into the intake or if they have filter breathers it pushes oil out through the filter.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I have it running to the driver side since there wasn't any oil baffle on the passenger side of the of the valve cover. The stock breather system on the car is a sealed system its when the crank case pressure doesn't vent to the air it gets recirculated back into the intake. When the car is under light load the breather connection on the throttle body puts fresh air into the crank case that gets vented through the PCV valve back into the intake. When its under heavy load the air will push out through the PCV valve and the valve cover into the intake track. That's why when people don't run oil baffles on there valve covers they suck oil into the intake or if they have filter breathers it pushes oil out through the filter.
Basically; you're running a stock pcv system. Correct?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Correct I need to run it for smog reasons plus its supposed to be better then venting to the air.
Gotcha. You had me confused with "sealed breather system" as I've never heard a pcv system called that.

You can run valve cover breathers if you disable the pcv. You'll end up with an oily mess in the end.

The reason you shouldn't run a valve cover breather in conjunction with a pcv system is that the breather will allow unmetered air to enter the engine. Unmetered air does not flow through the MAF thus creating a leaner air/fuel mixture.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
I'm running into some clearance issues with throttle body linkage and bracket. Wondering if these valve covers will solve my issue. Running a 1" spacer currently but not sure if a 2" will clear my 2.5 Cobra R hood. Engine is out of the car so test fit isn't an option at this time. I put another 1/2" under the spacer and it'll clear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I'm running these valve covers with a half inch spacer on my intake the way they flatten out on the top gives you more clearance. I did have to cut the bracket to make it work with the factory linkage. I don't have cruise control so I didn't need the lower part of the bracket. This is the best picture I have of my setup. If you want to see a closer picture I can get something tonight. If I went with a 1 inch spacer I probably would have cleared without modifying the bracket but the factory hood would have been a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts