Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which puts out more power at the same psi, i know the novi has limitless potential but on the same psi which is powerful tuned by an average tuner. im undecided which direction to go, but im thinkin turbo, but im keepin this possibility open and i just want to know whats the deal w/the procharger ps sc stage 2. and realisically on 8 or 9 psi whats the rwhp/tq id likely be seeing...

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you are talking about the D1 VS Novi 2000 they are pretty close.The Novi is said to flow more CFM but they support right about the same HP level.
Not sure what the ps sc stage 2 is.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Spec is correct. You're pretty much splitting hairs when it comes to power as both will be pretty close on a dyno if you compare them apples to apples (no intercooler) The latest 5.0 & Super Fords dyno test proved that. It was interesting to see in that test that the Novi's boost temp was cooler than the Procharger, in some points on the RPM scale as much as 20 degrees cooler. Check this thread on Novipower.com for all the details. I seriously thought about getting a Procharger, but they just can't seem to get this leaking seal business straightened out, so I bought the Novi.

http://www.novipower.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=403

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I would go with the Novi 2000 just based on the fact that there are constant posts about Prochargers having problems.

The Novi 2000 seems to be like a killer setup so far - not to many complaints on it.........yet :D

-Rob-
:lol:

·
Registered
334 Posts
These two blowers are the two that I have been considering for my combo. I am more than likely going with the regular D1(non self-contained) because of the benefit of intercooling and they don't have the problems that the D1sc model does. I can also step up to an F1 later on when I do my new R-block based shortblock.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The Novi 2000 is a great blower and you rarely hear anything bad about it. The same could be said for the D-1 (non self contained). They both have the HP potential to make short work of a factory block.

The advantage's thet I see with the D-1 are the intercooler (comes with the kit) and the internal gear step-up ratio. This let's you use a large diameter blower pulley (less slippage) for a given boost level and being able to use a 12 rib blower belt.

I think you would be happy with either one though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Either should work well and give a ton of power. I wouldn't be concerned over running the SC version. I have sold and installed many P1SCs and D1SCs without ever having a seal problem. Same goes for the Novi, last year when they were having impeller problems it was traced down to a certain time frame. The F1 will bolt up to D1SC brackets, but not D1 brackets as the self contained gearbox is different. It would cost $450 extra to upgrade from the D1 to F1 when you buy the kit. I was suprised to see only a 20* difference between the P1SC and Novi in 5.0 Mustang. It was around 15* cooler when they dynoed the Novi according to the #s they provided. Not as accurate as having a dry and wet bulb thermometer in the cell, but still you would think the larger Novi would have done even better. Novi uses a 10"housing compared to the P1SC 9". But at the same boost, temp and hp is nearly the same. F1 is more effecient than the P series, as is the D1SC, and should provide even cooler temps. One thing that helps is the straight discharge on the P1SC. The Race style Novi with straight discharge and Extrude honed volute does even better with temp and boost than the standard Novi. I would go with the D1 or D1SC with standard 3 Core if you are getting an intercooled ATI kit. Check out these track times with only blower changes and addition of an intercooler to a 91LX with Edelbrock heads, Cobra intake, and F303. 1/8mile

9psi Powerdyne [email protected]

10psi D1SC nonintercooled [email protected]

10psi D1SC with used GN intercooler +2* timing [email protected]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why didnt they use the D1SC in the shootout?Is it illegal for that class or what?
If I upgrade my D1SC to a F1 now what would it cost?Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
In Real Street the D1SC or better is not legal, why I don't know. I guess they think it is too much blower and wanted to keep things competitive. Novi is still larger in housing size since the D1SC is still a 9" housing, maybe someone else knows what the deal is. As far as a street blower, I have sold more D1 and D1SC blowers than anything up until the P1SC 4.6 kits became so popular.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The test was set up to test Production off the shelf blowers. Meaning that anyone of you could go out and purchase one of these blowers! Real street uses a production off the shelf blower, that anyone of you could go out and purchase. The Novi may of been bigger, but what is the next blower to compete? The novi 1000? Not going to happen. In my opininon the d1sc is not better then the 2000, the 2000 holds it own in alot of classes, and is making tons of power. Remember that the blowers were all pullied the same to make the same amount of boost during the test.

·
Registered
470 Posts
So you're saying the D1SC isnt a production off-the-shelf blower?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I liked the test, and how it equallized the boost levels. It made for a very fair comparison. Though it is all relative, due to the changing temps, and this and that. It's not like it was a labritory test, and thats why I liked it. It gave real world, real life comparison to the three blowers.

EA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts