Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. money is no object (I don't have any, thank God for credit cards). I want HP but not sure which direction to go. Do I buy the Procharger P1-SC with intercooler or do I go with AFR 185's and a good intake and cam? Give me some pro's and con's. The only advice I'm getting now is from my buddy who has a Impala SS clone that is more than a little warmed over NA. Also, he keeps kicking my tail when I think my mostly stock 95 GT has gown a couple of cylinders and lost 500 lbs. Please help, I can't take another butt whipping!:mad:

·
Registered
916 Posts
I personally would do heads cam and intake first. Just to build a good foundation for the blower. I also have to ask, do you realize that you have to flycut the pistons for the 185's? The 165's would work well with your engine, and they don't require flycutting. A good combo of heads cam and intake cam get you about 330rwhp and then when you go to add the blower you will see greater gains. Just a suggestion. Good Luck on the project.

-Billy

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
I vote supercharger first!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Obviously you didn't read the rest of his statement :lol:

BlueOvalBoy said:
(I don't have any, thank God for credit cards).
I would have to vote for the Heads,Cam,Intake combo first to give you a solid foundation. After you clear that off the credit card if your wife is anything like mine she gets a turn at the card and then after that is paid off GO FOR THE SC !!!!!!:joy: ;) :joy:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do the blower first. You will probably get more gains out of the blower than you will with a head and cam combo. Run it until it dies, then do something cool with the engine including AFR's!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am leaning towards the blower a little bit more now, after what I've seen here. Thanks guys. My thinking is that if I go with the procharger, I can have some quick fun this year. If I blow the motor, or I should say when, then I will build a good strong runner in either 5.0 form or step up to a 5.8.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Go for the blower first, but not for any reason I have seen mentioned. You will have what, $3500 - $4000 in the blower when it is all said and done? After that, spending a thousand here and a thousand there will be painless! :)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
IM IN THE SAME BOAT!!

I have been researching this for about 6 weeks. I have decided to go with the TFS Intake and Heads (+/- cam) with TB and 24# injectors. This entire setup will still run about a grand less than a full Pro install and provide almost as much power (about 100 more at the wheel)
If you then decide to add the blower, youll be able to crank up the boost since youll have the flow there, especially if youre going with a 3-core cooler (can easily run 11-12 PSI)

Hope this helps, since Im in the same boat

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
The problem doing the blower first is that you will still be relatively slow. When people here that whirring noise coming from under the hood, they're gonna assume that you have done everything else to the car too. You don't want to get spanked by like a Camaro SS, just because you have no other mods.

My suggestion is to do what I am doing first: heads/cam (see the sig).

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
I went with heads, intake, and cam first. Granted they are a bit old school but if I had to do it over, I would have supercharged (S-trim would be my blower of choice though). Since BlueOvalBoy is talking about a supercharger that can make some decent power, I think with a proper tune, he will make more power and torque with the Procharger. For example, when I had my first dyno at Swanson Performance, the guy before me had a bone stock 91 LX with only an S-trim, off-road h-pipe, and a custom tune/chip from Swanson. He walked out of there with 320rwhp (don't remember the torque but I believe it was around 330+rwtq). Hell, I even saw a stock 95GT with a only cat-back, 6lb Powerdyne, and custom chip make 271rwhp/320rwtq. To get those numbers out of the n/a package, you will need good flowing heads, intake, cam, tb, maf, complete exhaust, custom tune, etc. Just my .02 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think BlueOvalBoy could get 320 rwhp with heads cam and intake. Many people are starting to get those #'s with a good combo. And just think, with heads cam and intake you don't have the blower sound and it is cheaper. But, their just my thoughts. Good Luck on your decission.

-Billy

·
Banned
718 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't do the heads first. Now it will be that much more to remove when I do the heads. AFR 165's is a great choice IMHO.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.