Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont think i have enough vacum to open it at idle. im only getting 11-12in of vac. at idle. the HKS seems to like 18-20in. the BOV should be open at idle, right? is there a way to get this working?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I was also running an HKS BOV, it never worked right and i had a ton of compressor surge, i had the HKS racing bypass. When i called their tech support they said its not designed to be open all the time like what we need. I switched from that to a Vortech Mini Race Bypass, all problems solved, open at idle and part throttle cruising.

·
Registered
891 Posts
You probably need to do what Rob did and switch to the Vortech Mini Race Bypass ... it is common for people to have this issue with their HKS bovs and no one seems to find the fix

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
supergt99, I ran both the Greddy Type S and the HKS BOVs on my car. Both made my car run like crap. The HKS worse then the Greddy. The Greddy sounded so sweet, but i wanted the driveability. The car does not make enough vacuum to open them. i switched to the Vortech mini Race like the other guys said, probem solved. It only needs like 3inches of vacuum to open.

Dave

·
Registered
266 Posts
well now i know what BOV im going to get. vortech mini bypass, here i come:)

·
Registered
266 Posts
opps someone left this name signed on this comp, my name is supergt99

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
well im showing low vacuum (10in) because of my cams @ idle. When im cruising i see 20. When i ran the HKS on my car no matter how i adjusted the screw, the car ran like crap. I believe super runs aftermarket cams as well

Dave

·
Registered
564 Posts
You need a bypass valve, not a bov. Just get the vortech type and you will be fine. If you had a blow through maf where the maf is mounted after the blower discharge then you could use a bov but not otherwise.
Bob

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you mount the bov BEFORE the maf it will work correctly. When the valve opens, usually when there is a sudden change in vacuum like when you let off the gas, the maf will see the change in air volume and compensate. If you mounted the bov AFTER the maf then you would have problems since the maf already has measured the amount of air and if the valve opens then you get less air in the motor but the maf tells the eec that there is more air then their actually is causing you to go rich. I see you have a tweecer, watch Calcon and look at your Kamrf when you let off the gas, you'll see the effect.
Bob

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the problem that im having is the BOV wont open at idle, not enough vacuum.

i cant get Calcon to work on my car. mayeb because its a 99. i dont know. Calcon is part of the datalogging right?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yes, Tweecer RT includes Calcon (datalogging). However, on 98+ cars the datalogging is not working quite right yet, you can give Mike Glover a call about that and see if he can send you a file that will enable it on your combo.
BTW, the bov won't open if you apply vacuum to it. I'm not completely sure how it works but I do know that it will only open when there is a transition from low to high vacuum, etc. You can test that aspect of it by venting it to atmosphere (so you can hear it work) and just putting the car under some load and then let off the gas. You should hear it open.
Bob

·
Registered
771 Posts
superGT99 said:
the problem that im having is the BOV wont open at idle, not enough vacuum.

I have already talked with HKS' crappy customer support on this, they basically said it wasn't designed for our setup and thats why it wasnt working for me (HKS Racing Bypass), its not designed to be open at idle. Switch to the Vortech unit, all problems solved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts