Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put on the d1sc, 42lb injectors and 90mm lightning maf autolite 764 gapped .35.i started the car up,and here's the problems. the engine shakes at idle, when u accelerate gradually its fine, if you push the gas it hesitates and feels like its about to stop(feels like its choking
could this be caused by the different injectors and maf?i sent my chip off to be reburned to compensate fr the 42lb/blower/maf . etc. should this fix the problem??should i wait for the chip or is there something else i should check.

also, is there something different that needs to be done to the radiator hoses? i saw in the instructions a diagram where they blocked off one of the hoses, but it doesn't say what it relates to etc.(horrible instructions)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Make sure the injectors are not bad. I had two bad 38 lb from Vortech. Sent them back to Vortech and they tested them and duh yes they were bad. Sent me a new set. I do not know how to check them, the shop did that, but if you install the stock ones and the problems go away then that's the problem. Just don't try to get into boost. There are other things but most people take the fuel injectors for granted. That's my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I had a similar problem after I installed the P600B. My computer was not re-programmed for the Lightning MAF. Gotta ask someone about that, dafinitely. Yea, ATI wants you to use that aluminum plug in a bottom radiator hose. I did and it ran HOT, overheating HOT. Bought a $450.00 Fluidyne and it still rann a little too hot. Took that plug out and "walaa", ran fine. (w/180 therm.) They can take that plug and plug up they're @$$ HeHe. What year Stang did the D-1 go on? I'm wishing now, I shoulda gone with a D-1 to start with.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when i get home tonight im gonnsa check the injectors,thnx, if there bad then i should have new ones in by the time my chip comes back in.

roadwarrior svt:it went on a 99 4valve, and why do they won't u to plug that hose. guess ill call ati.

·
Registered
95 Posts
First of all the mass air is calibrated for the injectors. So you do not calibrate the chip for the injectors or it will be set for an 84 injector with both set. Try running the tr6 ngk plug that is pregapped and that should fix the problem. The mass air is calibrated already for a blown injected setup.

·
Registered
586 Posts
hey Fast Eddie 2k1 how did you know that you had two bad in jectors. Did you have an auto tap or something that showed two cylinders not firing? I ask because my car ran pig rich with the Paxton supplied chip along with an 80mm lightning maf and R/C 42lb injectors. Dallas Mustang could not get the car to lean out any. I'm almost wondering if one or two of the injectors may have been stuck open or somthing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
modmtrman said:
First of all the mass air is calibrated for the injectors. So you do not calibrate the chip for the injectors or it will be set for an 84 injector with both set.
What? LOL

Sorry but you are WAY wrong here. MAF's are NOT "calibrated" for injectors....it's a way for companies to be able to lie to your EEC so you can put a different MAF in without changing anything with your EEC. To do things "right" you MUST tell your EEC what kind of injectors you are running and what your MAf's transfer function is.

C

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Sebastian said:

What? LOL

Sorry but you are WAY wrong here. MAF's are NOT "calibrated" for injectors....it's a way for companies to be able to lie to your EEC so you can put a different MAF in without changing anything with your EEC. To do things "right" you MUST tell your EEC what kind of injectors you are running and what your MAf's transfer function is.

C
Yup and even then the fuel tables may have to be tweaked some.

Ed

·
Registered
516 Posts
austinTX said:
hey Fast Eddie 2k1 how did you know that you had two bad in jectors. Did you have an auto tap or something that showed two cylinders not firing? I ask because my car ran pig rich with the Paxton supplied chip along with an 80mm lightning maf and R/C 42lb injectors. Dallas Mustang could not get the car to lean out any. I'm almost wondering if one or two of the injectors may have been stuck open or somthing.
Lamotta Perf. did the install and found they were bad. How he knew it, I do not know. Jake's years of installing power adders probably had something to do with it. But he was correct, Vortech tested them and agreed they were bad. Wish I could be more helpful. They were Lucas injectors.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fasteddie2k1gt: did u get ur car tuned at lamottas?i ask because thats where i'm taking mine to get tuned.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So what chip did you have when you were doing your start up and testing? What MAF and injectors was that chip calibrated to? If it wasn't to your combo, then problems could occur.

I'd wait to get your correctly calibrated chip until you do anything.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
There is no question that the MAF will be rich for the car. I have tuned a few and the Lightning MAFS are not a good match out of the box for our cars. Even with 42# injectors. They need to have a highly modified transfer table to work well. Especially for daily driving.

Chris

·
Registered
413 Posts
The Lightning MAF is around a 38lb calibration, but not exactly. You can't just plug in a Lightning MAF with 42's and expect it to work. The chip must have the correct injector size and MAF function to work right. Just because the Lightning has 42# injectors doesn't mean the MAF will work with 42's on another car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts