Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helped my dad buy an off road h-pipe and two chamber flows for christmas. Now that they are installed he is complaining about the car not having as much power as before and when you get on it it blows black smoke form the pipes. It is also smelling very rich. I mean you can smell it from inside the car. The day after he had them installed a deer ran out in front of him and he went backwards off of a 15 foot of so ditch. The car is fixed now and they said nothing was hurt except for the body with scratches and such. I am not sure if that is the case or not. Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this problem. Oh yeah he also has a Diablo chip in it that was burnt and put in before the exhaust was put on . Thanx for any help. :confused:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure. Is there any way I can look and tell? Also I know they installed the MIL eliminators on the car. Is there any way that installing the h-pipe and mufflers themselves can cause the car to run to rich?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No I dont think that is it. It is not a funny smell, it is a very rich smell. LIke the smell of gas. It smells like my 1990 coupe did after I put in a 347 and changed it to carbed with 1 chamber flows and turndowns. You can smell a heavy scent of gas and like I said it blows black smoke when you get on it good. Use to you could start off in drive 1 and shift to drive 2 at 5800 or so and it would cross up in the road. Now it will just bogg down. :confused:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Maybe you need it re-tuned like when you get long tubes on there. hotrodgod said his was way rich after a LT install.

·
Registered
342 Posts
quick90coupe said:
I am not sure. Is there any way I can look and tell? Also I know they installed the MIL eliminators on the car. Is there any way that installing the h-pipe and mufflers themselves can cause the car to run to rich?
The 02 sensors are color coded (at least they are from side to side, I can't remember about front to back). The connector should match the color of the plug.

Did you do the install? If not, make sure someone who doesn't know what there doing didn't put the mil elims on the front 02's instead of the back.

There is no way just putting on an off-road h and catback will cause your car to run poorly. It will smell a little like gas at all times, but not like you're describing and not with black smoke pouring out the pipes.

Check those sensors and post back.

You should also remove the chip and see if the problem goes away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts