Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running this setup without problems for a few months but now the firewall adjuster is turned all the way out and the clutch doesn't disengage until the pedal is almost to the floor. Can I just hook the cable on the second quadrant hook and adjust the cable all the way in, or am I phucked? Thanks.

Brian

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm guessing you didn't get the adjustable cable also? You said the firewall adjuster is all the way out? Then, turn it in, so it takes up the slack of the cable and raises the friction point, so your pedal will disengage sooner. Happens to mine all the time, it gradually turns itself out and then one day, the car feels like it won't go into gear. Which would explain why it worked fine for you for a while and then just got worse. Just get under the hood and tighten that firewall adjuster up and you should be good.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No adjustable cable, just firewall adjuster. What you're saying is contrary to what I have going on. To raise my clutch disengage point I have been turning the adjuster counterclockwise, this is what I meant by "adjusting it out". When I turn the adjuster clockwise it loosens the cable and my pedal flops around, not much good in that. Currently, I have the adjuster almost as far out as it will go and the clutch still doesn't disenage until the pedal is about an inch or so off the floor. The clutch is an FMS HD thats about 2 yrs. old w/no launches on sticky tires. Anything else to try?

Brian

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's weird, mine works totally opposite. If yours work the other way, then it's time for a new cable. Is this the stock cable you are using? If so, I've had one stretch on me, so don't rule that out. If your clutch is only 2 yrs old with no slick launches, I'd suspect the clutch cable. They aren't expensive and easy to install.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
All you need to do for now is use the second hook on the quadrant, the one farthest from the firewall as installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts