Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver side window motor will not disengage when the window reaches the top unless I take my finger off the switch(it's suppose to cut off automatically when it reaches the top). When rolling down using the "one touch" the motor will not disengage unless I touch the "up" button. The passenger side doesn't have a one touch relay, and it works fine, the motor disengages even if you continue to hold the button in the up or down position once the window reaches the top or bottom.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Unless ford changed something our cars dont have a one touch up.Meaning it wont stop unless you take your finger off.

The one touch down automaticly disengages after a sec of seeing the window is down.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I didn't word it correctly. I realize there isn't a one touch up, what I'm saying is the motor is suppose to disengage when the window reaches the top even if you have the up button still depressed. It doesn't. It will still run until I release the up button. The one touch down in not disengaging the motor until approx. 10 sec. after the window is fully in the down position. Until it does disengage, the motor continues to try and lower the window.
Let me tell you guys what I've tried so far:
I've swapped out the switch with the one for the pass. side (the 4 pronged switch) & it did the same thing. I also swapped the one touch relay with no luck. I checked every inch of wire from the switch, to the relay, & to the motor looking for a loose or open connection, still no luck. Is there a motor regulator or something that I don't know about???

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
my95.0l said:
Maybe I didn't word it correctly. I realize there isn't a one touch up, what I'm saying is the motor is suppose to disengage when the window reaches the top even if you have the up button still depressed. It doesn't. It will still run until I release the up button. The one touch down in not disengaging the motor until approx. 10 sec. after the window is fully in the down position. Until it does disengage, the motor continues to try and lower the window.
Let me tell you guys what I've tried so far:
I've swapped out the switch with the one for the pass. side (the 4 pronged switch) & it did the same thing. I also swapped the one touch relay with no luck. I checked every inch of wire from the switch, to the relay, & to the motor looking for a loose or open connection, still no luck. Is there a motor regulator or something that I don't know about???
UH no if you hold the button it will continue to send power to the motor .No auto release.

Sounds like the window is operating normal.10 sec delay .NORMAL checked mine today.

·
Registered
361 Posts
white99gt said:
UH no if you hold the button it will continue to send power to the motor .No auto release.

Sounds like the window is operating normal.10 sec delay .NORMAL checked mine today.
Um.......Yeah. Hold button = send power. Release button = no power. All stangs are like that.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
99' GT Stang said:
Um.......Yeah. Hold button = send power. Release button = no power. All stangs are like that.
UH NO re read his post he says the motor should stop running even if you DONT release the button .:rolleyes:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The motor is continuing to operate after the window reaches all the way to the top and bottom.

If you're going to be a sarcastic smart a$$, please go somewhere else. I'm looking for ideas and options, not attitudes.

I've had this car for 8 years, I know what normal operation is.

·
Registered
570 Posts
As a former car alarm installer, what you're decribing can happen. When the window hits the stops, the circuit at the switch will stay open (of course) but the motor will draw more current when it reaches the stops. Once the amount of current drawn crosses a threshold of something like 15 amps, the motor shoudn't turn anymore. I'm no expert, but I think there's some ciruitry in the motor that does this.

What I do know is that whether the motor keeps TRYING to turn or not, once it hits the stops you sure shouldn't be hearing anything at all. Possibly a faulty motor or a worn 'gear' assembly.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DB96GT said:
As a former car alarm installer, what you're decribing can happen. When the window hits the stops, the circuit at the switch will stay open (of course) but the motor will draw more current when it reaches the stops. Once the amount of current drawn crosses a threshold of something like 15 amps, the motor shoudn't turn anymore. I'm no expert, but I think there's some ciruitry in the motor that does this.

What I do know is that whether the motor keeps TRYING to turn or not, once it hits the stops you sure shouldn't be hearing anything at all. Possibly a faulty motor or a worn 'gear' assembly.

Thank you. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
my95.0l said:
The motor is continuing to operate after the window reaches all the way to the top and bottom.

If you're going to be a sarcastic smart a$$, please go somewhere else. I'm looking for ideas and options, not attitudes.

I've had this car for 8 years, I know what normal operation is.
I wasnt making my comment towards you ,But if you take it that way its cool.My car is not the one broken.

·
Registered
361 Posts
white99gt said:
UH NO re read his post he says the motor should stop running even if you DONT release the button .:rolleyes:
I did understand his post. Stangs will NOT cut the power if you don't release the button. Believe me or not that's the way it is. The only way that the current will stop when you are pressing the button is if you trip the circuit breaker that is powering the circuit. Why don't you take a look at some wiring schematics for stangs and you will see that there is not a module to cut the power.

·
Registered
82 Posts
99' GT Stang is right.

I can sense a power draw when I hold the switch with the window all the way up. It will even affect the idle a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts