Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be my own stupidity, but I can't get this damn thing to work. It's all installed as per the directions, but I can't seem to get the right DIP settings. I used their little calculator thing on the web page to no avail. I am using the 21 tooth speedo gear and 4.30 gears. I plugged in the applicable data, got the settings, plugged them into the speedcal, and I'm going 130 MPH and getting passed by little old ladys and dump trucks and ****.

What's up?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I'm officially pissed. I've tried all sorts of crap to get this damn thing to function and it still just reads high. Also, I have that cruise control surging bull$hit going on. Wasn't that fixed quite some time ago? I just got this thing two days ago. What did they send me one of the old bunk ones just to get it off the shelf?

·
Registered
654 Posts
What settings have you tried? I think the correct settings for your setup are 1001001110.

·
Registered
654 Posts
grober said:
Isn't the speedcal for cars with electronic sensors in the tranny?
It will also work on earlier cars with the external VSS sensor. Works fine on my 98.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Here are the settings I come up with, assuming 245/45/17 tires:

If you're running on 245/45/17 tires and your stock speedo gear was 17, then the setting would be 1000100001. If the stock speedo gear was 18, then the setting would be 1001000001. If 19 was stock then the setting would be 1001100001.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Send a PM to TriBlkCobra..he's the designer of the Speedcal and he'll give you a hand with it...I had the surging and he sent me a new unit that fixed it...

Also, make sure you are pushing the dips the right way...I think the arrow points to on...so all the ones on the calculator sheet should be pushed that way...probably just common knowledge but ya never know...Good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's fixed

Well as it turned out it was the VSS. Go figure? It was fine untill I started playing around with it, wiring new things in to it. Anyway I replaced it and now the SpeedCal is working great. No surging, either. My apologies to Dallas Mustang. If anyone else is having these kind of problems I would check the VSS.

·
Registered
662 Posts
What was the correct dipswitch setting?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had a weird experience with mine. No matter how many times I ran the calculator the dip switch setting would cause me to read high. Not only high, but higher than the speedo should have read without the SpeedCal. I then noticed that the difference between what the SpeedCal was outputting and the offest I should have seen without the SpeedCal was just about the difference in my gear ratios.

I figured maybe (even though I thought the instructions said it doesn't matter which wire goes where in the VSS clip) I could try the opposite settings. I got the settings for a 4.10 to 3.27 swap and tried them.

Has worked great ever since.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BlueStangGT said:
What was the correct dipswitch setting?
I'm using 1001001110 but I may change it. I want the most accurate speedo possible, so I'm going to talk to the dalls mustang boys and find out the optimum settings for my applications. I'm using a red 21 tooth speedo gear and I run 275 40 17's on the back. (new gear is a 4.30)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Will this unit work to correct the speedo on a '96 GT? And what is a VSS?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
OK, I think I know what's going on...

In few cases the direction of the switch for a 1 or 0 has been confused. Most all of the units use a red C&K or a black CTS which I believe both have a labeling for ON. With either switch ON is a 1 and the switch should be slid towards ON for a 1. Also, if you put all the switches in the exact opposite position (change all the 1's to 0's and visa versa) you will basically double your error. I've checked this for the standard gears of 3.73's, 4.10's, and 4.30's and the error will basically double within a percent or so...

[edit]
OK, I guess my above post was moot you guys already figured it out...

Jafar - The website calculator covers all of those issues.

Phattdoggy - Yes it works on 96 and newer Mustangs. The VSS is the electrical pickoff within the tranny that sends the speed signal to the PCM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts