Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently removed the second nitrous solenoid and am now using only one big solenoid since I never used a fuel pressure safety switch anyways. I pulled the vacuum line off the fpr to set the base fuel pressure and noticed my fuel pressure guage maintained the same reading. Vacuum on, vacuum off, the guage didn't move. Placing my finger over the line proved there was no vacuum. I put the vacuum line back on and investigated. I discovered it's got vacuum at the spray nozzle!! I put my finger over the end and sure enough there is tons of vacuum. The fuel pressure dropped an appropiate amount. Is there something wrong with my nitrous regulator? What gives? Shouldn't this be closed up when not activated? I need advice.

-Steve

·
Banned
3,821 Posts
The blue piece that used to be between the solenoids is sticking open.Take it apart,put some lube on the o-ring and try it again

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried it. Lubed the o-ring very well but it still didn't help. I put a second solenoid back on and that stopped the vacuum since the solenoid was closed. Does anyone know how the nitrous regulator works?

·
Registered
508 Posts
no you don't you do have to have the regulator after the bigger solenoid though!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Currently, the regulator is placed after the solenoid via the original tee. The line to the spray nozzle is connected to the other side of the tee. How does the regulator operate? I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
THE REGULATOR IS A PRESSURE BLEEDER OF SORTS. IT TAKES THE HIGH NITROUS PRES. AND STEPS IT DOWN TO A USABLE LEVEL FOR IT TO APPLY PRESSURE TO THE FUEL REGULATOR. THE TEE FITTING (BETWEEN THE NOS REGULATOR AND THE FUEL REGULATOR) HOUSES A JET THAT ACTS AS THE FINAL PRESSURE TUNING DEVICES FOR THE REGULATOR BY ACTUALLY SENDING WHAT FLOW/PRES. IS NOT USED AND INJECTS IT DIRECTLY INTO THE INTAKE. IT IS NECESSARY FOR THE NITROUS REGULATOR TO BE MOUNTED BETWEEN TWO SOLENOIDS BECAUSE IF IT IS NOT THERE WILL BE A DIRECT VACUUM LEAK FROM THE NITROUS LINE THAT GOES TO YOUR INJECTION NOZZLE. HOPE I MADE THIS MAKES SINCE.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
racerx2132,

Thanks for the help. Are you familiar with how the regulator operates internally? I took the regulator apart and while it looked very simple I'm confused as to how it achieves the pressure control you describe, mechanically. It has a piston/rod type of plunger with an o-ring that pushes against a spring. But what makes it push against the spring?

With the car engine running at idle and the nitrous system not operating I conducted a test. I took the cap off the regulator and I manually forced the piston down against the spring which I discovered closed off all vacuum at the vacuum line directly connected to the nitrous regulator. It was only then that I regained vacuum at the fpr. Releasing the piston I immediately lost vacuum at the fpr and consequently would pull vacuum right from the fogger nozzle. If there was a second solenoid in place it would of course prevent this problem since it would be closed not allowing flow in or out. But if I only connected the vacuum line to the nitrous regulator at the track (plugging it for everyday use) could I get away with only using one solenoid or will the system still not perform correctly?

During operation of the system with nitrous flowing at high pressure does the piston push against the spring as I did manually during my testing?

-Steve Roberts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nitrous would blow through the vacuum line when the system is armed.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I know there has to be a way to do this. The NMRA realstreet cars are setup like this with 1 big solenoid.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your right. And its hardly top secret stuff. Its frustrating.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I talked to one of the big dog NMRA guys. He said he runs 1 big solenoid before the blue reg. I would assume the vaccum part doesnt matter too much on a race car. I guess you can always plug it for street use then when you get to the track you can hook the line back up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
921 Posts
He did say he hasnt checked vaccum but he said he hasnt had any divability probs at part throttle and No problems for sure at full throttle

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's just a bit rich and kinda stinky enough to be annoying. It's only got the correct fuel pressure at WOT. I guess I'll just plug the vacuum line until I can afford to buy the second solenoid. It bugs me to have unfinished stuff on the car. Thanks again.

-Steve Roberts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts