Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have a new starter (hi torque type) new battery, and new alternator. a couple days ago i had had gears/shocks/springs/struts put on

now, when i go to start the car, most of the time all i get is a fuel pump prime, then *click* from the engine bay. i have to do it 2-10 times before it will crank...once it does, it works fine.

i checked the battery while running, and it reads 14.6, so the alt is fine. the battery when the car is off reads 13.7, so its fine too

my question is, could it be the solenoid on the drivers side fire wall? does that piece use its back plate as a ground? i have it bypassed because the solenoid is on the new starters at the starter

thnx guys :D

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update: i remounted the solenoid on the drivers side fenderwell, that didn't help at all. i did clean it and make sure it was contacting

where else can i look?

·
Registered
19 Posts
That happened to me once and it ended up being a broken battery post. It was cracked down inside the battery, so it would only get a good connection every once in a while and that's when it would finally start up. Since there was work done on it recently they may have disconnected the battery, tightened it too much when they put it back, and cracked it.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm, this is a brand new battery and its all good

any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmm....do they all of the sudden go bad like that?

i cleaned them off and the battery terminals....that didn't help

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anyone else?

·
Registered
181 Posts
could be defective starter solenoid, Bad neg battery cable caused a really weird high surging idle on mine till i changed it....kinda hard to tell from here.....sorry

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update: the past couple of days it was fine, then last night it took me 3 min of start on, start off, start on, start off to get it to roll over. once it did, it fired up great.

all day today its been fine too.

now....i've heard that this could be the TFI next to the distributor.

the strange thing is i put my hand on the steering column when i tried it and it was clicking and i could feel the click, kind of like a relay clicking, thru the column. is there a piece in there that could be hosed?

thnx :D

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have the new mini starter, so is it the solenoid on the starter? or the one in the steering column?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bump

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.