Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my car used the owner said that it had a PRO M 77mm MAF on it. I am not sure about this because on my meter there are carvings from what looks like an exacto knife or something that says all the specs. Such as 77mm, 24#(assuming that is injector size) and a few other things. Is this a stock Meter that has been sent in and recalibrated? All the rest of it except the meter looks as though it is from PRO M.

I also have another question about MAF's. What is the difference, besides size, between all the PRO M MAFs such as the 77mm, 80mm, and 87mm. Is it better to get the larger size MAF?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 87mm Pro-M and YES it does look like a knife carvings on the meter's electric connection. I'm pretty sure all Pro-M's are chrome but not certain and factory ones aren't if you want looks...but to really tell if it's a Pro-M it should say it on the meter connection and if you want to look on the inside/take it apart, you will see no big metal divider in the middle just a little cone on top.

As for size goes...i would say the bigger the better becuase of nice cool air being sucked in the better for these engines. In my '98 the factory size is 80mm i believe so 77mm would be sorta in the sense depriving my engine. I got the 87mm and it relly wakes the car up in the top-end.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would'nt go any bigger than an 80mm MAF on a NA motor. You will lose low end torque, however, you might gain some top end.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What size is the stock MAF on a 2001 Cobra and also the injectors it is calibrated to? Should i buy a Pro-M 87mm when i get my intake ported and polished?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Although the 77 is smaller than the stock 80, the Pro-M doesn't have that godawful post taking up 40% of the flow area. Pro-M recalibrated the stock electronics, which is why there are markings on the housing.

C&L leaves the electronics alone and manipulates the transfer function by resizing the sample tube- thus no scratching. Yours sounds like its the way it is supposed to be. Stock injectors are 24#.

I agree that once you have gotten a MAF without a post there aren't too many big gains to be made by going bigger on a mostly stock car. A 80 is not going to make more power than a 77 at near stock power levels.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Venom25 said:
What size is the stock MAF on a 2001 Cobra and also the injectors it is calibrated to? Should i buy a Pro-M 87mm when i get my intake ported and polished?
Stock MAF size is 80m.m. and it is calibrated for 24# injectors. I actually have my Stock MAF off my Cobra for sale on Ebay right now. Hope this helps.

Razor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts