Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a hot rod harness for universal applications.
Two things that are disconcerting:
1. What's the deal with the small red/blue wire that goes to the starter relay? It was in the original factory harness but the Pro-M harness doesn't have it. Do I have to wire it up individually to the backup/neutral safety switch and to the TFI ignition module like it is in the original factory harness? And if so, how do I do this if my Pro-M distributor harness is a 94/95 style harness, and doesn't actually have a TFI module?

2. How am I supposed to set ignition timing with the spout out if the Pro-M harness doesn't even have a spout connector?

Looking for suggestions on how to proceed. Confused but willing to learn and admit my mistakes.

Reactions: Foot Hill

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
White/pink wire goes from ignition switch to neutral safety switch on transmission. Wire is only powered with key in start position.
In park and neutral, that signal leaves the neutral safety switch and goes to the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
White/pink wire goes from ignition switch to neutral safety switch on transmission. Wire is only powered with key in start position.
In park and neutral, that signal leaves the neutral safety switch and goes to the starter solenoid.
Would this be in any way tied into the Pro-M harness? or is it a harness individual to the AOD neutral switch/Ignition switch/starter solenoid?

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The spout is a connector in the pro m harness rather than the traditional plug. You disconnect the connector.
Thanks for clarifying this for me. Where is the connector located?

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Would this be in any way tied into the Pro-M harness? or is it a harness individual to the AOD neutral switch/Ignition switch/starter solenoid?
Well that circuit doesn't pass through the stock ecm, so i doubt it goes through the pro m. But i don't know a lot about the pro m.
In the stock configuration, 12v power is always present at the ignition switch. In the "start"key positon, that 12v goes through the NSS as you mentioned and then to the starter.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See here Installing the Pro-M EFI Harness

Go just past the 33 minute mark.
Wooooooow so THATS what that connector is. Intriguing. I'll be honest, Pro-M was having some issues on their website earlier this year as I believe they were going through an update of some sort and I hadn't gotten a chance to watch their install videos. I'll be sure to watch through them. Thanks again for the help John Janek.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to update this thread and say thanks to massacre and John Janek for pointing me in the right direction. The wiring up of the neutral safety switch and the timing adjustments were basically the last things I needed to get this project up and running. Here's a photo of the car I was working on:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud

The engine bay is not 100% done but here is a photo of it too:
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

Again, thanks to you fellas for your helpful input on my project.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Just wanted to update this thread and say thanks to massacre and John Janek for pointing me in the right direction. The wiring up of the neutral safety switch and the timing adjustments were basically the last things I needed to get this project up and running. Here's a photo of the car I was working on: View attachment 1081653

View attachment 1081654

Check your messages, please.

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Just wanted to update this thread and say thanks to massacre and John Janek for pointing me in the right direction. The wiring up of the neutral safety switch and the timing adjustments were basically the last things I needed to get this project up and running. Here's a photo of the car I was working on: View attachment 1081653

View attachment 1081654

Car looks great!
Always glad to help

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello again Mustang community. I am having trouble with some steps dialing in my Pro-M.
Do I have to program my ECT sensor to the Pro-M ECM? Because this is what is happening:
I think there is a problem with the way the Pro-M is reading the ECT. I open the Pro-M Insight on my laptop and confirm I am connected to the Pro-M ECM. I start the vehicle. I open the ECT gauge on Insight. I have an electronic gauge on the side to confirm temps match. My electronic gauge will read higher than what the Pro-M says, about double. I'm inclined to believe the electronic gauge because coolant has burst from the rad cap twice now. It seems the Pro-M system is reading much lower than actual temp, which consequently isn't kicking on the cooling fans at the appropriate temps. I have tried two different OEM ECT sensors to see if it was the sensor. My ECT sensor is not directly in the Manifold, it is on the heater tube, but very close to where the heater tube is connected to the Manifold. Any comments or suggestions gladly appreciated.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hello again Mustang community. I am having trouble with some steps dialing in my Pro-M.
Do I have to program my ECT sensor to the Pro-M ECM? Because this is what is happening:
I think there is a problem with the way the Pro-M is reading the ECT. I open the Pro-M Insight on my laptop and confirm I am connected to the Pro-M ECM. I start the vehicle. I open the ECT gauge on Insight. I have an electronic gauge on the side to confirm temps match. My electronic gauge will read higher than what the Pro-M says, about double. I'm inclined to believe the electronic gauge because coolant has burst from the rad cap twice now. It seems the Pro-M system is reading much lower than actual temp, which consequently isn't kicking on the cooling fans at the appropriate temps. I have tried two different OEM ECT sensors to see if it was the sensor. My ECT sensor is not directly in the Manifold, it is on the heater tube, but very close to where the heater tube is connected to the Manifold. Any comments or suggestions gladly appreciated.
Is it possible that you have the ECT somewhere where it could be in an air bubble and not reading temps properly?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts