1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
420 Posts
I’ve been thinking of that myself, I just finished wiring in the supplemental harness and was wondering how well the flex fuel and fuel pressure sensor work and if they are worth it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mainly am interested in the fuel pressure sensor for data logging reasons, but it can also help get the fuel dialed in even closer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, you need the new system for the fuel pressure sensor, but I haven’t used it.

I do use all the flex fuel controls and they are fantastic. I wouldn’t even consider running e85 without them.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I have both when I updated the harness. I bounce back between e85, pump gas and every combination of the two. Do I have to change anything in the software to do that? Besides clicking enable and plumbing in the ethanol content sensor......

Not a damn thing.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Would the flex fuel sensor be beneficial for someone who doesn’t run straight e85? Our gas stations here say “MAY contain up to 10% ethanol”.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It only makes changes to the spark adder if it is 11% or higher, so you could blend e85 with your normal pump gas to come up with whatever percentage of ethanol you want.

This is straight from the instructions below:
The amount of advance added will be directly proportionate to the ethanol content of the fuel. In other words, if the fuel is 100% ethanol, you will get 100% of the spark adder. If 85% ethanol, you will get 85% of the spark adder. If 50% ethanol, you will get 50% of the spark adder. However, no spark is added below 11%, since most pump gas already contains 10% ethanol.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It only makes changes to the spark adder if it is 11% or higher, so you could blend e85 with your normal pump gas to come up with whatever percentage of ethanol you want.

This is straight from the instructions below:
The amount of advance added will be directly proportionate to the ethanol content of the fuel. In other words, if the fuel is 100% ethanol, you will get 100% of the spark adder. If 85% ethanol, you will get 85% of the spark adder. If 50% ethanol, you will get 50% of the spark adder. However, no spark is added below 11%, since most pump gas already contains 10% ethanol.
Ok I see, I must have missed that when I was reading up on it on the website.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If you have e85 stations around like I do, then having the flex fuel option is a good thing.

Honestly it was real simple to plumb and hook up no reason not to get it.

The only thing is that you have to make sure your fuel system is ethanol compatible. And that you have a pump that will support your hp with e85. I'm running a 450lph in tank. Just about 600rwhp and it does just fine. Double 340lph in the spring. For my use of the the car it would be a slightly better choice.

·
Registered
144 Posts
All good stuff here.

If you don't plan on mixing and will only run pump gas, there is no need for the ethanol sensor. Just set gasoline stoich in the calibration to 14.4 which is appropriate for E10. If what actually comes out of the pump is E8 or E5, that's fine. The difference is so minimal that it's a non-issue. The corrections and adaptive fuel controls will account for it. But... if you have an ethanol safe fuel system and access to flex fuel, I highly highly recommend you get the ethanol sensor. Flex Fuel controls unexpectedly became my favorite new feature with the new strategy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
By “ethanol safe,” I mean you should have all of the following:
  • A fuel system (pump(s) lines, rails, injectors...) that can supply at least 30% more than what’s needed for gasoline
  • Injectors that are safe for use with ethanol and won’t corrode
  • Fuel lines and fittings that are safe for use with ethanol and won’t rot out and crack or turn to mush
  • Fuel pump(s) that is (are) compatible with ethanol. (For example, older Walboro 255 pumps are not and will fail prematurely.)
  • A fuel filter / filter element that is ethanol safe. If you have a paper element, it needs to be changed to stainless steel
  • A diaphragm in your fuel pressure regulator that is ethanol safe. (I have a Weldon regulator and they guided me on the correct new diaphragm to swap in. I’m assuming other manufacturers can do the same.)

·
Registered
420 Posts
By “ethanol safe,” I mean you should have all of the following:
  • A fuel system (pump(s) lines, rails, injectors...) that can supply at least 30% more than what’s needed for gasoline
  • Injectors that are safe for use with ethanol and won’t corrode
  • Fuel lines and fittings that are safe for use with ethanol and won’t rot out and crack or turn to mush
  • Fuel pump(s) that is (are) compatible with ethanol. (For example, older Walboro 255 pumps are not and will fail prematurely.)
  • A fuel filter / filter element that is ethanol safe. If you have a paper element, it needs to be changed to stainless steel
  • A diaphragm in your fuel pressure regulator that is ethanol safe. (I have a Weldon regulator and they guided me on the correct new diaphragm to swap in. I’m assuming other manufacturers can do the same.)
This might be a dumb question but after doing some research i found a couple of gas stations that are somewhat near me that have e85. So now i am considering getting the flex fuel sensor.

To run e85 you have to have a system that is compatible as stated, so what happens if you switch everything over to be e85 compatible and then decide to stick to pump gas? Or still pump e85 but just once in a while, will that affect you fuel system?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
This might be a dumb question but after doing some research i found a couple of gas stations that are somewhat near me that have e85. So now i am considering getting the flex fuel sensor.

To run e85 you have to have a system that is compatible as stated, so what happens if you switch everything over to be e85 compatible and then decide to stick to pump gas? Or still pump e85 but just once in a while, will that affect you fuel system?
It won't affect a thing. I bounce between e85 and pump gas all the time. Today's gas has ethanol in it anyways. Flex fuel option imo is worth the price of the sensor.

·
Please call me Mike
1,584 Posts
I also have the fuel pressure sensor. I think it was a good investment. I was able to see that under load my fuel pressure was dropping. It is also nice because you can set your fuel pressure based on what the PCM is seeing, not some gauge on the regulator. Set it to 39 PSI and you are done.

Only complaints I have are:
Preface:
My fuel system is on drivers side of car. It is a single turbo and turbo exhaust is on Passenger side. When I installed fuel system I wanted it away from exhaust. Not sure if I would do that again but its not bad.

1) I had to lengthen the sensor wires to get it anywhere near my fuel lines. I wanted sensor before Y block where each fuel rail is fed. It would be nice if there was an option for "standard length or longer leads" I am not sure if this would be feasible but it would be nice.

2) The sensor is bigger than it looks online. The way I installed my fuel lines to rails made it impossible to not redo my fuel lines. Sensor is mounted under car against frame rail about 10 inches before firewall. There wasnt just a spot I could splice it in (I had hoped). The other issue is my car has an AJE k-member. It moved my motor back and that makes things harder.

Once again these are my problems.

I talked to Chris about the ethanol sensor. I don't have a station near my house and was asking about availability in other places. He said some guys just take a few gas cans to the e85 station and fill them up. You then can put a few gallons in your tank and will get to use the added timing feature. Your current fuel system would still have to have room left in it but not as much.

If I was redoing my fuel system I would up to #8. I should have done it during this install but I am sure they will still sell me fuel line

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd like to get back to exactly what the fuel pressure sensor does. Yes, you can look in the software and use the reading from the sensor to set your baseline pressure to 39 or 40. But more importantly, it adjusts the duty cycle to the injectors based on whatever the fuel pressure across the injectors is at any given moment. Without the sensor, the system will always assume that pressure across the injectors is 39-40 and command the appropriate DC to the injectors to get the correct fueling based on that assumption. But what if pressure across the injector under certain scenarios is less that 39-40? Without the sensor, you go lean until closed loop corrections kick in and increase injector duty cycle to correct the lean condition. With the sensor, in theory you won't go lean in the first place.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
And if it's gets past it's given correction tolerances, a cel is illuminated. Letting the user know that there is a problem and that the pro m potentially saved the engine.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Plumbing in the flex fuel sensor and the fuel pressure sensor was a pain, I mounted the FP sensor on the drivers side near the firewall, I also modified it slightly so I could face the wiring harness connector at 9 o’clock instead of down, I worried about it hitting the ground potentially, if you have the sensor you know what I mean.

AEM makes an awesome -10an fuel filter that is E85 compatible, I plumbing that right before the FP sensor.

I installed the ethanol content sensor on the return line, Chris recommends installing it on the feed but I ran a flex fuel sensor prior to the update on the return and it read steady and I trusted it. I also had to modify a lot of the wiring for everything, I tied the flex fuel sensor into my existing sensor wiring and I had to extend the FP connector.

Almost done putting the car back together, can’t wait to drive it with all of the new stuff.

6F153797-6CCE-4573-A83F-EF4A9EA63090.jpeg
06F9885D-CC96-4121-B886-7CEC55B7DC8B.jpeg
E4661F9C-BFD2-4A7A-96B3-174EF4325C6A.jpeg

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Everyone's set up is different. My sensors were mounted in about 30 minutes. Content sensor mounted on an aluminum L bracket and attached to the subframe. Had to add wiring though. Easy enough

Fpr sensor in RS rear engine then feeds the rest of the engine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts