Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out from Pro-M that they have 4 mass air meters that fit my car: 80mm "factory replacement"; 77mm core "bored to 83mm"; 87mm "Flanged"; and the Univer.

The car is N/A and will stay that way for some time to come. I plan to get their "remote optimizer" to tweak the output signal.

I just want to replace the stock mass air meter, in-line, with the stock air intake.

Any suggestions or experience regarding which model/bore I should try?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I am of the opinion that an aftermarket MAF will give you little to no benefit over the stock unit. I say dont waste your money.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I tried to mess with my stock intake and after LOTS of problems I am now trying to revert back to stock!! I bought the Densecharger which probably would have worked just fine except I had my stock MAF meter ported and polished and had my stock MAF sensor recaliberated by Pro-M for the Densecharger and it throws a SES light [email protected]!!!

My opinion - leave the stock intake alone - these cars are controlled too much by computers to mess around with things like that for little to know HP!! ;)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Ralph Greene said:
Keep your stock one, and spend the money on a dyno tune and custom chip. MHO

won't an aftermarket MAF help get better results when getting a dyno tune? we all know that one mod will not show big dramatic gains, but when it's all put together that's when you see the results, no?:confused:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Most tuners don't consider an aftermarket MAF a performance mod. And...most people report difficulty in getting them right. Many of us are using aftermarket MAF's because with blowers and such the stock units are just overwhelmed (pegged), and cannot measure the incoming air accurately. The shop that takes care of my car thinks almost all of the gains on NA cars from aftermarket MAF's come from making the engine run leaner. If you are a tad rich, and could benefit from a little leaning, a good tune would be a better way to pick up those ponies. MHO

If for some reason the stock unit was restrictive, an aftermarket might improve air flow, but I don't think that is the case. Again MHO

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
ralph

thats a good point. my cobra is running pretty rich as of now. high rpms the a/f ratio is about 11 to 1.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ralph Greene said:
If for some reason the stock unit was restrictive, an aftermarket might improve air flow, but I don't think that is the case. Again MHO
I gotta agree with Ralph. I have always considered the stock 01 Cobra intake path as entirely adequate, for N/A. A guy reported 15rwhp with the C&L kit, so I just wanted to replace the meter, in an otherwise adequate set-up.

Now, I just need to work out some kinks with a Diablo chip and then would like to add a MAFterburner.

Kenne Bell is supposed to have a blower for the 01 Cobra, soon. I am hoping w/ the KB, 90mm LMAF, 42# injectors, pump and MAFterbuner, the car will make pretty good power from 2K - 7K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts