Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - as the title states, first start issues. I can get it to cough/fart/pop and shake, but won't catch idle or rev.

As for distributer, I've checked half dozen times - assumed it was 180 out (flipped and nothing), put back and it will kinda catch. Have played with large timing adjustments (I marked everything when disassembled, to minimize the guesswork - car ran perfect before) and nothing. Giving it throttle won't help. It almost catches immediately after first crank, and then requires a solid 3-4sec of cranking before it starts to sloooooowly catch.

For settings, injector data in config file matches published figures from Pro-M (pro-m injectors). MAF curve was input by Pro-M. Fuel pump kicks on as it should. Battery is brand new and charged. Starter is brand new. All wiring is good/new. Top end is fresh (Eddy heads/intake, mild 210/215 @050 cam). All hoses/pcv is new. Normally I don't like changing this much stuff at once for trouble shooting purposes, but here we are.

I know that getting in the ballpark for timing is key to everything - i've never had these kinds of issues when stabbing a dist (usually get it by the second try), not saying i couldn't continually screw it up, but starting to wonder if I'm missing something else in the start up procedure. Any guidance from those that have done it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stock dizzy and coil (OEM stock).

MAF if located in stock position, with filter and filter cover (to handle fan wash).

Update - got it to light off - I kept messing with it and I think my timing marks must have been way, way off or something. I'm no where near where I thought I should have been. So that part has improved.

Next thing - no idle. As soon as I add throttle tip-in, it dies. If I do nothing, it dies. TPS (throttle closed) is .935 (below idle voltage cutoff), fuel pump is good and running stock FPR. Considering everything is new, vacuum leaks haven't been 100% ruled out yet, but even w/ a leak i should be able to get it to do something other than die when opening the throttle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Timing was close enough (within 2deg) - ended up being an issue w/ the MAF transfer function (incorrect data). Once that data was correct, fired right up, idled and was able to continue the setup. Was an oversight on the data input side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts