Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - as the title states, first start issues. I can get it to cough/fart/pop and shake, but won't catch idle or rev.

As for distributer, I've checked half dozen times - assumed it was 180 out (flipped and nothing), put back and it will kinda catch. Have played with large timing adjustments (I marked everything when disassembled, to minimize the guesswork - car ran perfect before) and nothing. Giving it throttle won't help. It almost catches immediately after first crank, and then requires a solid 3-4sec of cranking before it starts to sloooooowly catch.

For settings, injector data in config file matches published figures from Pro-M (pro-m injectors). MAF curve was input by Pro-M. Fuel pump kicks on as it should. Battery is brand new and charged. Starter is brand new. All wiring is good/new. Top end is fresh (Eddy heads/intake, mild 210/215 @050 cam). All hoses/pcv is new. Normally I don't like changing this much stuff at once for trouble shooting purposes, but here we are.

I know that getting in the ballpark for timing is key to everything - i've never had these kinds of issues when stabbing a dist (usually get it by the second try), not saying i couldn't continually screw it up, but starting to wonder if I'm missing something else in the start up procedure. Any guidance from those that have done it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Just a stock 302....
421 Posts
Super simple.

If your using pro-m. Just follow the instructions pre start and first start. That will cover 90% of all problems

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stock dizzy and coil (OEM stock).

MAF if located in stock position, with filter and filter cover (to handle fan wash).

Update - got it to light off - I kept messing with it and I think my timing marks must have been way, way off or something. I'm no where near where I thought I should have been. So that part has improved.

Next thing - no idle. As soon as I add throttle tip-in, it dies. If I do nothing, it dies. TPS (throttle closed) is .935 (below idle voltage cutoff), fuel pump is good and running stock FPR. Considering everything is new, vacuum leaks haven't been 100% ruled out yet, but even w/ a leak i should be able to get it to do something other than die when opening the throttle.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
your timing is still way off. make sure its 10 btdc and not 10 atdc

bring it to tdc #1 compression stroke. then move the balancer to 10*btdc. line up the rotor with number 1 on the cap and make sure the small tooth of the wheel is to the left of the pick up looking down on it. this will get you very close. if it doesn't idle, open your blade a turn. follow the directions step by step.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Timing was close enough (within 2deg) - ended up being an issue w/ the MAF transfer function (incorrect data). Once that data was correct, fired right up, idled and was able to continue the setup. Was an oversight on the data input side.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,121 Posts
Timing was close enough (within 2deg) - ended up being an issue w/ the MAF transfer function (incorrect data). Once that data was correct, fired right up, idled and was able to continue the setup. Was an oversight on the data input side.
Incorrectly entered or you needed a new meter calibration?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts