Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1965 fastback 347 hci v3-si Pro M efi. Tko600 3:55
386 Posts
Moroso makes the small version like that. I have it. I'll take a picture of it tonight.
Something I’ve noticed with every breather that uses a pleated/cloth filter element is it eventually gets coated with oil and becomes somewhat hard to flow air in and out. Also usually starts to drip oil after a while. Another thing is they are usually best mounted as high as possible so that condensation and fuel vapors can escape upwards and what doesn’t make it out through the can has a path back down where it came from.
I really like this one
Vibrant Performanc 12695 Fuel Air Separator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BZN6STC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1JWG7AGSJB24B8WEBDXY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
It uses a recessed wire mesh screen with internal baffle plate.
You can mount it a few inches higher and no pleated filter to dirty up.
-But to recap, I don’t see how you can run a open breather like this using a PCV and not create a vacuum leak.
You would have to use a closed catch can / no open breather.
I use an open breather but no PCV.
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So, thanks all for the suggestions here. I’ve verified all connections are secure. Plugged off the PCV and installed a catch can (just need to run a line from passenger side cover.

Pulled O2 sensors and cleaned them (recommended by Tech Spt at Innovate).

Still no joy! The attached video (ignore workbench mess in background) gives an idea of what it’s doing. During that attempt at starting, I went from no throttle to all the way to the floor to pumping the throttle. You can hear what I get. As my wife says, all I get is a lot of rich smoke out of the side pipes.

I know this is a stretch…But, Is it possible that when I used the MAF cleaner, it somehow lost the base configuration and I need to reload it?

One of the main reasons I went with this system is that it is supposed to “learn”. I’m just not that savvy at tuning (read that as I have no frigging clue what I’m doing!).

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The maf cleaner doesn't hurt or change anything. I used it on mine. Is there plenty of fuel in it? If it gets too low it will run pig rich. I know it sounds crazy but it flips it out.

·
Registered
1965 fastback 347 hci v3-si Pro M efi. Tko600 3:55
386 Posts
No, I get it and intend to switch back to a catch can. I’m just wondering why he says to run a PCV if people are having problems with it.
PCV is a great thing to have.
A block under vacuum has ability to make more hp.
you have less chance of oil pan, valve cover, oil dip stick and rear main leaks etc.
Less or even no gas vapor emitting from engine bay.
If a PCV is used (without breather of course) then all crank case leak areas (listed above) can cause a vacuum leak if not sealed.
-Pick your poison

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
So, thanks all for the suggestions here. I’ve verified all connections are secure. Plugged off the PCV and installed a catch can (just need to run a line from passenger side cover.

Pulled O2 sensors and cleaned them (recommended by Tech Spt at Innovate).

Still no joy! The attached video (ignore workbench mess in background) gives an idea of what it’s doing. During that attempt at starting, I went from no throttle to all the way to the floor to pumping the throttle. You can hear what I get. As my wife says, all I get is a lot of rich smoke out of the side pipes.

I know this is a stretch…But, Is it possible that when I used the MAF cleaner, it somehow lost the base configuration and I need to reload it?

One of the main reasons I went with this system is that it is supposed to “learn”. I’m just not that savvy at tuning (read that as I have no frigging clue what I’m doing!).

you're blowing a lot of smoke Mike.

pull the plugs. probably fouled

gap at .040 if na

verify base timing

cranks fine but it ain't catching

also look at the maf connection. do you have one of those 5 pin to 4 pin adapters? if so, get rid of that anyway. i hate adapters. one more potential bad connection.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Finally got it!

Well, part of it.

I pulled the plugs and while you could see it was running rich, they weren’t really fouled. Cleaned them, checked gap and still no joy.

So, I went back to square one. What did I change that stopped it from running? Certainly, a shorter paper air filter versus the taller K&N would be an issue, right? Wrong! Because of the way the MAF sits on the base of that oval air cleaner base, I had to use a spacer to get clearance for the top of the cleaner assembly. This lifted the MAF away from the throttle body Approx 1/2”. I didn’t think much of it as it’s pretty tightly sealed. But, when I put the K&N back in, it fired right up!

I appreciate all the time and ideas. And, ultimately, I think bypassing the PCV and going with a catch can will fix the root problem I was having. So, that is a big help!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sooooooooo……..

Seemed to be running OK. Today, after a short run, to a local hardware store, I went out and when I restarted, the CEL came on. Checked codes when I got home and it’s back to the 2195/2197. Banks 1 & 2 Stuck Lean.

No error codes showing on the O2 Controllers.
Have not been able to find a vacuum leak.
All parameters set per Pro-M.
Even had on clean under drawers and good driving shoes! 🥴

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,199 Posts
Sooooooooo……..

Seemed to be running OK. Today, after a short run, to a local hardware store, I went out and when I restarted, the CEL came on. Checked codes when I got home and it’s back to the 2195/2197. Banks 1 & 2 Stuck Lean.

No error codes showing on the O2 Controllers.
Have not been able to find a vacuum leak.
All parameters set per Pro-M.
Even had on clean under drawers and good driving shoes! 🥴
Asking the obvious here but how is your fuel pressure with and without vacuum and when revving it?

Im curious what triggers those codes if it’s not the 02 sensors then it’s either the MAF or fuel pressure.

the fact that it’s both banks then not likely your O2 sensors.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Asking the obvious here but how is your fuel pressure with and without vacuum and when revving it?

Im curious what triggers those codes if it’s not the 02 sensors then it’s either the MAF or fuel pressure.

the fact that it’s both banks then not likely your O2 sensors.
I'm going to have to take a look at it.

Going to run some diagnostics in the next few days. House projects have taken precedence 🥴

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,199 Posts
I'm going to have to take a look at it.

Going to run some diagnostics in the next few days. House projects have taken precedence 🥴
I’m wrenching in my detached garages on a 92F day. What few brain cells I have left are getting cooked lol

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I had this issue recently, turned out to be dirty and clogged fuel injectors. Pulled them out and took them to a local guy to be cleaned and flowed. I had one injector on each bank that was well below parameters prior to cleaning. Once they were done, the issue hasn't come back.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,199 Posts
I had this issue recently, turned out to be dirty and clogged fuel injectors. Pulled them out and took them to a local guy to be cleaned and flowed. I had one injector on each bank that was well below parameters prior to cleaning. Once they were done, the issue hasn't come back.
Good point. Could also be a dirty fuel filter(s).

·
Registered
503 Posts
Vacuum leaks
Exhaust leaks
Incorrectly configured wideband controllers
Wideband controller failure
Wideband failure
Ignition misfire
Low fuel pressure
Clogged injectors
Incorrect MAF data
Incorrect injector data

·
Registered
503 Posts
Actually rethinking my own post more. "Stuck Lean" actually means it's pulling fuel out because it's rich. I was incorrectly thinking it was reading lean and adding fuel. Some of my listed items are still valid, but others like misfire are not. Fuel pressure problem would be high instead of low. Etc.

Usually I see lean problems and not rich ones. I guess the first place I'd look is the injector data. What injectors are you using? Can you post a screenshot of all your entered injector data? I'm wondering if you have something screwy in a table.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts