Ford Mustang Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm just saying it might be the best compromise for someone who doesn't already have COP. That may be a better solution than dismantling a wire harness and trying to install COP wiring in a conventional harness like the OP said he was trying to do. It's because the crank trigger gives the ECU the best view of the engine position during operation. If you live in the state of CA and you have to use a distributor to pass a visual inspection at the emissions test station, you can still get the benefits of a better running car while still retaining the original look of the fox mustang engine bay. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, BTW, I wouldn't want to go backwards myself. I pretty much hooked on the COP concept. I went through a lot of trouble to make it work on my own car. I'm in the process of installing a Ford 351W (460 cid, FRPP p/n M-6009-460) using the COP and the crank trigger. With COP and the crank trigger, I at least know that I will have a car that will measure up to modern day drivability standards.
Ahh! I get you now.

I’m really excited to see how this plays out as more people move to the crank trigger. With a mod motor I had one from the factory, but I’m excited for you pushrod guys.

·
Registered
1965 fastback 347 hci v3-si Pro M efi. Tko600 3:55
352 Posts
To the op:
Do some sole searching and try to figure out what hp goals your going after and at what max rpm /boost that might be at.
For example, I’m dead set on running my GT-40 tubular upper. That limits my rpm’s on my boosted 347.

I’ll be shifting around 5800, maybe 6k and I’m fine with dist and single coil.
Now; if I planned on opening up airflow and going higher rpms and more boost (@15PSI now) I’d be looking at coil near plug option.
But.. if I did that…., I wouldn’t be able to use my rubber dist cover or the new wires I just got from MP 😎

Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
There are a few guys that proved cop didn't make anymore hp over dist if the ignition system is up to par on yellow bullet. I think one was running 7s at high 170s, if my memory is correct.

He also stated longer plug life and no worry about dist wear.

I know I have never gotten 100k miles on plugs in a stock cop engine. Usually 50-70k I have gotten a misfire. Maybe I'm just unlucky??

If I only had the option to do either crank trigger or cop I would run crank trigger. Timing is rock solid.

Offshore boats is another hobby of mine. Just about all those engines don't run cop. If anyone has had the pleasure to go out on a high performance boat, you will see guys runs wot for a long time. It's not uncommon to be wot for an hour or more.

I'm not against cop by any means. Just not sure if it's needed for most. I'm not sure I agree if it's more reliable as well. More parts to fail.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.