Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so on the way home from work tonight my power steering pump decides to leak oil and sieze up. There I am going down the highway and smoke is coming out from under my hood... it spewed fluid all over the place... then it killed the engine and when I tried to restart, it was a no go. So, I took the belt off completely and drove about 1 mile to my house ( luckily I was that close! )... So, has anyone had this happen before? I can't really tell what died, but the pump lost fluid... I'm guessing a seal must have let loose or something.. so, do I go to Ford and get a replacement or how about O'Riellys? Is there anything else I need to be concerned with?

Thanks,
Jeff

'92 LX 5.0

·
Registered
883 Posts
That happened to me last year, forget about seals, the pump is fried(bearing) .With mine, you could look at the pulley and tell it was cockeyed, I bypassed the pump and measured for a new belt. Just be glad you made it home,I had to leave my car in a parking garage overnight :O

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hawk - you are right, this pulley is cockeyed too

Axeman5 - thanks for the offer... I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet...

Is it possible that this failure could have destroyed anything else? ie, the hoses, or the rack?

Thanks,
Jeff

92 LX 5.0

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.