Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so as it says in my sig, my LX was gifted with a 351M by a PO out of a 78-79 F-150 or so.. I'm gnna be taking care of this issue with a big block ford that I'm gnna build up for it. Now here's one of the issues I've bumped into... My car was originally a 4cyl car but I've been gathering up a lot of original V-8 mustang pieces for it, 8.8 rear, springs, sway bars, spindles... And I got one of the 15:1 steering racks... Here's my conundrum... Both of the power steering pumps I have came out of trucks.. current one was from a F-150, the one on the big block was in a 97 F-350 but it at least is a serpentine drive.. Will these pumps just blow the seals out of the better rack that I got or is there any way I can either make the correct pump fit the big block drive system or maybe adjust the pressure on my pump to work with the rack? Does anyone know what the pressure working range is supposed to be for the quick ratio rack vs the saganaw steering boxes that the trucks had? Am I just beating my head against a wall on this part? And nope, manual steering is an out for me, I'm disabled and I have to have power assisted steering... Any ideas would be really appreciated... Oh and I am also wanting to add hydroboost brakes later on, I'm gnna have to have power brakes and I think that'll work out the best w the big block, so that's something to consider also...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Put a 2001 F150 pump wih factory serpentine pulley from a V8 into our 94 Mustang and it has run fine for about 3 years now. Installed a rebuild Cardone rack (recollection was close ratio 95 Mustang) at the time I did this.

Had no room after installing a blower so had to fabricate a mount to install a PS pump where the air injection pump was. Using stock remote reservoir from the F150 mounted to passenger side inner fender.

Cooler is a piece of 3/8" steel brake line clamped to the bumper reinforcing bar about 8 feet in length. Fluid is Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid. Return hose is low pressure PS hose.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I am assuming it a Saginaw "canned ham" pump? R&P needs less pressure than the truck box required.

Pump Pressure Kit

Also, the flow volume may need reduction.

Some good general reading.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do you have exhaust manifolds yet? This was one of my problems when I converted to a 351.

When I converted to a 351W in 94 Mustang I was able to buy a 351W manifold from a 95 to resolve the clearance problem with the steering shaft.

Granted you have an earlier Mustang but you may want to see verify you have one which fits your engine unless you know how to modify one.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh clearance w the steering shaft is all good w the 351M that's in it now, may be different when I drop the 460 in it... I do know that when I change the k-member I'll have to pull it out about 3/4 inch. But I'll look over the info you sent, dosen't hurt to gather more data, especially when you're fooling with older cars!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.