Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 351w based block, I am using a Ford Racing AC Delete and the factory alternator bracket, no smog pump or dummy pulley with factory belt tensioner, I’d like to know if there are any available options where the pump mounts up high like it does currently so I can avoid making new fuel lines and re routing hydroboost hoses around the turbos. Anything non Ford would be nice to eliminate the noisy pump.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
For a couple years Ford used the Saginaw box on F250/350 and E250/350 351W trucks and vans. Not super easy to fidn but they can be made to work. They use a specific bracket to mount the pump. It fts boththe 302 and the 351W. The spacing is the same as the Foxody so the serp belt aligns. You have to rebuild the pump to limit the pressure for the R&P but it's been done but a few people. You have to mix & match hoses too. There are threads here about it. Saginaws don't make noise like the Ford does and you can rebuild it at home.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Screw the pump altogether put in an EPAS and call it a day. Never have to worry about belt, fluid overheating, pump whine or power to turn the pump on front accessories, plus cleans the engine bay up and weighs way less.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Screw the pump altogether put in an EPAS and call it a day. Never have to worry about belt, fluid overheating, pump whine or power to turn the pump on front accessories, plus cleans the engine bay up and weighs way less.
Total cost involved in said swap?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Anything non Ford would be nice to eliminate the noisy pump.
I installed a new Orielly's pump in my Mark VII three years ago. What I did was a bit detailed, but it is still absolutely whine free.
-Once bolted in and the pulley installed, I filled the reservoir and hand spun the pulley until no more burping, filling as needed to keep from reintroducing air to the pump.
-I then grabbed the serpentine belt, put it on the pulley, and standing on Driver's side of the car I spun the pump as fast as I could until no burping.
-I put the belt on and with a momentary switch I cranked the car and made sure the level did not drop.
-Last step was to start the car (was on jack stands) and slowly turn the wheel stop to stop about 10 times.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Total cost involved in said swap?
It all depends on the car but for mine everything was $1400. That was for a complete kit. It should be noted you can do it for way cheaper, like a couple hundred dollars by buying a motor for another car and retrofitting it

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
The Saginaw pump that, that bracket is designed for, should never be used with a Ford power steering rack. Those pumps are designed for applications which require a lot more assist.
Jack, can the assist be dialed down? Or is there another option that will still permit A/C?

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Heidts makes a shunt regulator for adjusting the amount of flow from the PS pump. I've never used it, but if it is properly designed, it should work fine.

If you want to install a Saginaw pump, you need to use a TC40 model. This pump is designed for a power steering rack. Much less flow. You will have to make your own mounting bracket.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Speedway Part # 91032918 to reduce the flow rate
Borgeson Part # 899001 to correct the pressure

A bunch of how to in this thread.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
The solution in post #13 is not going to work correctly.

You can't linearize the output of a pump with a restrictor. This will make the steering effort vary depending on rpm and load. It may make the pump loose assist under certain conditions.

The kit with the pressure adjustment is irrelevant. A PS pump doesn't have an output pressure. The pressure at the outlet is a function of the output flow rate and the load that is connected to it.

To make this work properly, you need to use a shunt regulator with a reactive element in it such as the Heidts.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
yes I was just going to say what Jack said. I come from a tractor background and use of a restrictor makes the steering effort vary with pump rpm and load, similar to what guys were doing with tractors for a little while, throwing a restrictor in the line to the loader lift cylinder to "slow it down". Also the restrictors wear out over time. Wouldn't think so but they do, at least with tractors.

The restrictor's design is such that the amount of assist increases with RPM which is really not what you want for a performance oriented steering system; you want the amount of assist to back off as vehicle speed increases, hence one reason EPAS is "nice". You can electronically control the amount of assist with EPAS, based on many things--including but not limited to vehicle speed. At high speed your assist doesn't need to be as high, if it is, you end up with twitchy steering and a possible safety issue.

back to topic. Whine is prevalent on my 93 LX too, which runs really quiet otherwise--it's muffled and a 4 cylinder and I like it that way. I have used a vacuum bleeder to pull the air out, yet it's still noisy. I've run the steering wheel back and forth wheels up off the ground, spinning the pulley by hand, it's still noisy. I notice that whenever I turn the wheel with the engine off, the reservoir always overflows or bubbles. Nothing leaks anywhere (well the engine has a tiny oil leak but irrevalent for this discussion), so I feel like it's getting air in it somewhere but where? I certainly can't find any kind of leak anywhere?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was able to mock up this unit from Jones Racing, it was a lower mount and wouldn’t work, I flipped the bracket upside down and what do you know, it works in this location, pretty nice when things work out, I’ll have to reroute my hydroboost hose along the lower intake (better anyways) and I should be good to go. I’ll also need to drain the ATF out of the hydroboost and rack so I can run regular PS fluid...

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I think that your c/c plates are installed backwards. Post a photo from the top of the strut tip looking straight down.

·
Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - ⚡Cougar7.0⚡
5,217 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sent you a message Jack with pictures, had a shop install many those years ago, wouldn’t be shocked if they were wrong, long story that is...

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,187 Posts
whats the pn of that krc unit?
brreeze sells it, or one that looks like it, and seems like the factory five racing guys like them, so curious how you will when the time comes.
Power Steering Pump Assembly w Fabricated Reservoir « Breeze Automotive

you can get that pump without the tank

either way keep us posted

(hope you plan on adding some heat shields and wrap into the mix)

Reactions: Cougar5.O
1 - 20 of 42 Posts