Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that would cause a stang to not have the power its supose to, but still run and idel fine?.... Its a 93 GT with flowmasters and a K&N filter plus a super chip.... It seems like its missing some power... Its got 77k on it. If im in 5th gear on the highway and go to give it more gas, it doesnt have any go to it, it takes it awhile to build up speed...its got the stock 2:73s in it. Well anyways, i dunno if its just me or theres something wrong. Whats the prob if there even is one?

·
Registered
673 Posts
How long have you had this car? Does it feel slower than it used to feel? It isn't going to accelerate too fast at 70 in overdrive especially with the 2.73. If there is a problem though, it could be a number of things, does the check engine light come on?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had it for about 8 months, its got the same power as it did since i got it. And it feels the same as it always did, but this is my second car, my first one was a mazda mx-3 so obviosly this car has more then my first car, i just think its supose to have more..And no the engin check light never came on..But even in 4th gear it doesn't take off to fast... got any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sounds like you need to start putting more mods into it. Seriously, these cars aren't super fast, and they definitely don't feel fast past 70 with the stock 2.73 gear, especially if its a vert. Get some 3.73's and then you'll be happy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone else think anythings wrong?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think what you are experiencing is normal. My car with 2.73's wouldn't pull at all in 5th! Now with 3.73's its much better. Only other things to check would be the tune of the car (Timing, plugs, wires, clogged fuel or air filter) or a bad sensor. But since your check engine light doesn not come on they are probably OK. Good Luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
You're being wicked sensitive expecting a car at highway speeds in over-drive and with 2.73 gears to accelerate hard. First, you're at speed which means wind resistance. Second, in OD (5th) with 2.73 gears your torque multiplication is low. Third, you're at lower RPM in the engines power band.

So what, I'm sensitive too :) Seriously, I recommend you buy a GTECH. I love mine for many reasons. We can debate their absolute accuracy, but they are a great tuning tool.

* Measure HP improvement of mods.
* Measure 0-60 improvement from mods (susp or HP).
* Measure HP for tuning FP, Timing, Tune-ups, etc.

*** Just measure HP over time and use as a debug tool. The butt meter is just not accurate. After 100's of HP measurements, I might not notice a thing wrong with my car (butt says good) and yet its down on HP. This tips me to a problem I didnt even feel. Likewise, today it feels slow (butt) but it measures dead on. So its just me getting use to the power.

Helps a lot.

Chris

·
Registered
345 Posts
Better yet, go to the track and have a blast! You will meet people and see other cars you can compare yours to. Also, you will learn how to launch, shift, and overall become a better racer.

P.S. I warn you though, going to the track can be very addicting!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Gears, gears, gears!!! This subject can preached until the cows came home, but until you go to a better gear ratio, all other mods will have little to NO efffect.

Any car in its OD gear with a 2:73 rear end gear isnt anywhere. Your going to need to go with some better gearing. Depending on how you drive it and what teh car is used for, ide recommend a 3:55, 3:73 or 4:10, but its up to you.

My car is an automatic and I had 2:73s back when I bought it. I too thought highway acceleration was awful, then I installed some 3:73's and beleive it or not, OD pulls alot harder than what it did before.

I think this is your problem because it happened to me when I first got my car.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
How's your clutch? I bought my car with 80k miles knowing the stocker was almost toast. What happens when you slam 2nd gear? Do the RPM drop right away, or sit up high? If they sit up high, it's slipping. A new clutch won't GIVE you more power, but it will allow more power to get to the ground, instead of being "slipped" away. I have the same car, just w/ 3.08s. Did the same things as you state before I got the new clutch (Kind cobra)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Clutch is fine, in first and second gear if i slam on the gas it takes off fine. shiftin from first to second takeing off fast second will break loose real easy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts