Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so I recently purchased a used C&L CAI for my 96 Cobra. I swapped in the MAF sensor from my car, connected everything, hooked up the battery again, and took it out for a test drive. The car is just not pulling as hard as it used to, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what the issue is. The idle is fine, but there is not the noticeable pull when the car gets into it's power band that used to be there. I expected I might not be able to "feel" a difference with the CAI, but I certainly wasn't expecting to feel a loss of power. Any thoughts on what could be causing this, or next steps? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Replace back to stock before diagnosing! If power picks right back up then you will know somethings up with the CAI or how it was installed.

Its faily easy to install a CAI so I find it hard to believe a poor installation of the CAI is the problem, but most likly a faulty maf sensor. But either one will be distinguished when you replace to stock.

Good luck partner!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I should be able to put back the stock intake tube tomorrow. My only concern with the installation was that there was no rubber grommet for the air temp sensor, but I pulled one off of another CAI I had from a previous mustang, and it seemed to fit pretty snug. The PVC tube to the head also seemed like a stretch to fit, but it's on there. The MAF sensor was working fine on the stock MAF housing, so I wouldn't think that that was the problem. It's also stalling out on rapid deceleration now. I was hoping for a "I had the same problem, just turn the MAF 90 degrees and that'll fix it" but I guess it's never that easy.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
CAIs are sold as a performance mod but they aren't; they always look better but rarely increase performance. If I remember correctly the C&L tube is larger than the stock MAF, and with the stock MAF sensor the larger tube will result in slower airflow and lower MAF count readings which skews the tune.

Reinstall the stock tube and sell the C&L.

·
Registered
265 Posts
CAIs are sold as a performance mod but they aren't; they always look better but rarely increase performance. If I remember correctly the C&L tube is larger than the stock MAF, and with the stock MAF sensor the larger tube will result in slower airflow and lower MAF count readings which skews the tune.

Reinstall the stock tube and sell the C&L.
Listen to this guy and save $ for useful HP mods...believe it.....do pick up a K&N filter though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I'm going to put the stock setup back on. I already had the K&N on that. Kinda bummed, but hopefully I can get some of money back selling it, although I feel conflicted selling it someone else when my car ran poorly with it.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm going to put the stock setup back on. I already had the K&N on that. Kinda bummed, but hopefully I can get some of money back selling it, although I feel conflicted selling it someone else when my car ran poorly with it.
it will be fine as long as the car it's going on is getting a tune

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fair enough. In your opinion though, it's not worth it for me to do that?

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Fair enough. In your opinion though, it's not worth it for me to do that?
Do you want to put out the money for the C&L and tune to end up with the same hp? This is what will happen if the car has already been dyno tuned. If your car is on the stock tune it will gain some power but anymore than if it had the stock inlet tube/maf and a dyno tune.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, well thanks for the advice. If that's the case, it doesn't seem worth it to me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For what it's worth, I put the stock setup back on and everything ran fine and pulled strong, like normal. I then swapped out the MAF and filter for the ones that came with the CAI kit, and there was no noticeable difference, but it didn't have the same issues. So, the issue must be with the connection of either the PCV tube, the temp. sensor, or the IAC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts