Ford Mustang Forums banner

Power band of TFS Stage 1 cam??

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  5.0 Hatch 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to figure out which intake will match the stage 1 cam better. A Performer or a Performer RPM.

Right now I'm running the RPM and my peak horsepower peaks at 5860rpms. I think that may be a bit much for the cam. I have a chance to swap intakes with a friend and I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision before I do it.

Also I'm running 1.7rr on my stage 1 so that picks up the lift quiet abit, what effect does that have on the rpm range?

cam specs are 221/225 .499/.510 w/ 1.6s
with 1.7s i'm not to sure.

#2 · (Edited)
Stick with the RPM. Here's my dyno sheet from the LTD. It would have peaked higher but the iginition was breaking up at 5K so it sort of petered out. The RPM and TFS 1 work well together, I wouldn't see a reason to get a Performer myself.
Edit> Forgot the dyno sheet:eek:

#4 ·
Hmm... it seems i'm getting mixed opinions. The reasons I was leaning to the Performer are because my car weighs #3300lbs with me in it, also I have 3.73s so I thought I would need the extra torque of the Peformer. I'm not to sure how much lower it would have peaked with the Performer, but I figured the cam would have been out of breath after 5500.

Super_Irish- wheres your dyno graph?

#6 ·
JoeDirte said:
"but I figured the cam would have been out of breath after 5500"

Most motors seem to stop making power around 5500 with that cam but if I was to post that someone will chime in with a graph showing a 6000 peak. Performer is better suited to the setup you posted.
I'm not to sure if you noticed but mine did peak at very close to 5900rpms. So if the cam peaks around 5500rpms on most combos, i guess its my intake that brought it up that high.

So yea me and you agree that the performer would match better for me.

Any other opinions would be helpful :)

#8 ·
eightyfour said:
What does he mean by the ignition breaking up?
The spark was not strong enough to bridge the gap undet WOT at 5K and up. I've got the problem corrected now ( new battery, TFI coil) but haven't re-dynoed it. It's hardly worth paying for another dyno session as the shortblock has about 150-160K on it and has pretty bad blowby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.