Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKay heres the deal I have a 92 gt, mods in signature. Anhow I was planning on building a 331 kit and just going n/a and having a good motor, but I have been weighing th cost and have been thinking about changing my mind. anyhow I was gonna leave my stock motor and just add a A-trim vortech. Right now I have a 75 shot of NOS will I feel any difference by adding the A-trim or do I need to go with the S-Trim. I know the A-trim isnt all that but I dont wanna something that is gonna lunch my headgaskets within the first week or two, I want my car to stay reliable and just have a nice running motor with a little boost to make some power. anyhow what do you guys think I am open to any suggestions, thanks alot
Richard:D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Put a turbo on that car and dont even waste your time on a supercharger. Get a single turbo or twin whatever floats your boat and you will be much happier with it. My friend just installed a cartech SS kit and he made 5lbs of boost by about 2800rpm and if you get a supercharger you will get the same amount of boost at 5k. Before his turbo he had a vortech S-trim and he is way happier with the turbo because it makes more power faster which is good for the street. just putting my .02 cent in

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya know I love the idea of a turbo unfortunalty I dont have them money to spend 4000 grand on a kit plus 1000 for labor, .?any other ideas

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
IMO go for the S-trim (imagine that :D ). While nitrous and SC's can make about the same WOT power the real difference is in the driving. With the nitrous you won't be able to just tickle the throttle for a little fun when the road opens up a bit. Well, I suppose you could but that'd get expensive real fast When I've got the LX out I find that I have the most fun when I let it have just a few pounds of boost, right before it becomes an animal. I could spend all day (and have :D ) doing that. That's just one example of how a SC differs from nitrous. Not saying that nitrous is bad just that I find that a SC gives more "on " time, IMO.

Then there's the noise factor. Nothing says "too cool" like the scream of a SC while the exhaust is chopping from the cam. Even the LS1's try to pretend you're not there. It's hilarious.

This also attracts it's share of people asking questions at gas pumps and the like. I had the LX out a couple of weeks ago and went to a local Dodge dealer. I swear I had to show the entire service dept. the car and let them listen to it. Then when I got out of there and stopped at a convenience store the clerk was tripping out. Before I got out of the parking lot people were signalling that they wanted to talk about the car Once they got me stopped the clerk came out, too.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
man I seriously wanna go with a blower, how long before I lunch my headgaskets? how much horsepower difference between and A-trim and a S-trim?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Rich Gill said:
man I seriously wanna go with a blower, how long before I lunch my headgaskets? how much horsepower difference between and A-trim and a S-trim?
There are so many variables here that the question isn't really answerable. On mine it ran around for years (and maybe 50 feet LOL, freakin' garage queen!:D) with some cheapo head gaskets which finally gave up the ghost by delaminating around the coolant passages. I went ahead and o-ringed the head then. Probably wasn't the best thing to do but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

OTOH, the reason it had the cheapo gaskets is that it blew one of the good ones one night against the A-trim that it had at the time. Circa 1995. Later the SC developed a bad bearing from sitting around with the belt tight and I upgraded to an S-trim while it was in for repairs. Anyway the reason the head gasket blew is that I got cocky and ran too much timing for the fuel and it pinged. Didn't take much either. So the moral of the story is that you shouldn't get too aggressive if you want it to stay in one piece. But that's true of anything.

As for power difference it's hard to say. I changed the cam at the same time so that kinda clouds the issue but in this case it was a big difference after I finished. You might ask this on the Power Adder forum, maybe someone has a clearer answer. HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.