Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight; well, I let a friend of mine drive my car tonight 'cus he is thinking about getting a Cobra. I take him to a rural road and tell him to hit it from a rolling start in 1st gear. When he does, I feel this really hard bumping feeling coming from under the car. It feels really bad. So I got scared and told him I wanted to try it out and see what I can do with it. So I do the same thing, accept I rev it up even higher to 7k and shift into second. And right as I go to shift to second I hear this really loud POW come from under/ behind the car (I'm not sure where it came from). So anyways... I'm wondering what the h*ll this is??? A friend of mine who has an '01 SS had the same type thing happen to him and it was a transmition mount that was broken. You guys think thats what this is? My track times have been really crapy lately and I'm wondering if this would attribute to that? He said when he replaced his mount, his car felt A LOT stronger. Hopefully this is the problem and I will feel the same results he did afterwards. What do you guys think???

-Clinton

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt... Anyone???

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was thinking tranny mount the entire read before you even mentioned it. Sounds like the symptoms. Your times would hurt at the track because the play in the drivetrain absorbs the firmness of your shifts. Do you feel any 'hopping' in the drivetrain when you are starting from a stop? That's another symptom. Definitely check out the mounts before you dive any further into anything else, since it's an easy check and inexpensive fix.

Lon

·
Registered
236 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that is a long SIG.

I thought there were three more replies since my scroll bar was only half way down the page:rolleyes:

I thought mine was a little long.

Sorry for the rant

Matt

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well if I had bought an LS1 I wouldn't have had to do all that.. wait nm I would have done it all anyway :evil:

Lon

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many transmition mounts are on the car? Yeah, it hops big time. It is pretty bad. I never noticed it before, i guess 'cus I'm an idiot. But it seems worse on the passanger side than on the driver side. You can, however, feel it on the driver's side. Oh well, I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. Lemmie know how many mounts there are...

-Clinton

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Only one mount, and it sits on top of the transmission crossmember.

Put the car on ramps, get under there, and see if you can lift the tailshaft with your hands by bench-pressing it or wrenching it left and right. If not, take a jack and put it under the transmission and raise it slightly - less than 1/2"- see if the mount separates (the plate will separate from the rubber of the mount, or the mount will be broken in half or something).

If that's not it, check and see if your rear axle has rotated somehow by bending one of the upper control arms. This could cause unnatural driveline angle and lots of drivetrain noise.

But yes, like mentioned before, it sure does sound like a transmission mount. It will hit more on the passenger side of the driveshaft tunnel because the torque from the engine pushes it that way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet, thanks. I'll check it out in the morning.

-Clinton

1 - 8 of 8 Posts