Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just installed the SC-Trim on my buddies 92GT and occasionally, when you give it gas, it wants to backfire, or pop, through the blower/maf....The car has all the usual h/c/intake stuff with 24# injectors, and just has the base kit with no bypass or anything. I have the fuel pressure set at 40 and there is an 8:1 FMU plate. Any ideas or suggestions???? Thanks alot!!!

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Is the MAF installed the correct way? Have you tried to rotate it? Double check the timing, check wires, vac leaks, ect..

Ian

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks IAN! I appreciate your answers, as they are usually very helpful and serious. Any others?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Make sure the tubing is all on properly.

Double check TDC to make sure the balancer is correct.

Make sure you are running a colder spark plug than stock.

Make sure you don't have an injector or spark plug wire crossed.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I second all the other suggestions above, and also, how's the fuel delivery system? Running lean will make it pop and backfire. Check the fuel filter, fuel pumps, make sure the FMU is not hooked up backwards.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We replaced the fuel filter, it has a 190lph pump, so we should be all set. I will check the hoses and such. Thanks!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a similar problem, after installing the blower on my car it popped, missed, backfired, and surged to hell and back. The problems seemed to be a product of a couple things. Firstly, relocating hoses near the headers caused the anti-backfire valve to be melted through, along with a couple hoses near it. Secondly, the C&L was being really picky about which way it wanted to be oriented and read incoming air. I replaced the anti-backfire valve, and the accompanying hoses, it ran a little better, but it still ran crappy and wanted to pop. After replacing the C&L with a Pro-M, it ran beautifully. Just my $0.02

EDIT:
I also second all the other suggestions. I also went through timing, restabbing the dist., checking fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, etc... everything kept coming up normal, but check it anyway!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
How are your spark plugs gapped? With the blower you should make the gap smaller, to like .032" even with an ignition box such as an MSD. I had that same problem. As soon a the engine hit 3500 rpm it would pop. Changed the gap and it fixed it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts