Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 87 GT. The moron that had it before me left it out in the cold with just straight water in it. Consequently, 2 freeze plugs popped out. Can I replace these with the motor still in the car? Do those expanding freeze plugs where you tighten them up work? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yeah you can replace them if you can get enough room to get a good hit with a hammer. Sometimes it's just not possible with large amounts of work (like removing heads to get those that are on the back of the head) so you might have to use those expandable types. They work but don't last forever.

I might suggest that you just do the minumum possible work and get some coolant in the thing before you start making big plans, like using the car. Those "freeze plugs" are actually called core plugs and they are simply for plugging up the holes on the block and heads where the casting sand is removed. As such they do not reliably pop out before damage is done to the engine by freezing coolant. So if you get some coolant in the thing and the block or heads are not cracked, then great you lucked out. But I wouldn't count on it until you check it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts