Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
So you don't get the motor together and start the car and realize that it needs bearings or the crank is bad.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
So you don't get the motor together and start the car and realize that it needs bearings or the crank is bad.
Well I understand that, but the soul purpose is a put together junkyard 2v lol... it's just taking a chance at what I get. If it doesn't work, I take it apart and try again lol. Ofcourse I can take it apart have machine work done etc... etc... but that kind of kills the basic budget thrown together 2v.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If the crank is from a "known" good running engine then Im gonna say your ok, but moving forward with the unknown is going to cost you time/money. Not to mention the depressed feeling of failure. HEY!!! We looking out for ya partner!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Decided to keep the cobra oil pump on, put on the 03 crown vic pickup tube, had to cut off the bracket that was on it and grind it down to keep from hitting the #1 main. Flushed it with some brake cleaner and put it on. I believe this vic oil pan is a lot deeper than a regular mustang but I don't have one to compare. As long as it sits on the k member correctly should be good to go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Talked to a buddy and i'm going to pickup some stock romeo pi heads, 3 bolt timing cover, and valve covers from him for $80. Then a gasket kit for $80, which comes with mls .030 think head gaskets, exhaust, intake, valve cover gaskets, and some other small ones. Then I am going to re use some bullet nmra real street blower cams I have. They should pair well with the high compression and circle d 4400 single disc stall. 18 degrees of overlap should help bleed off the compression for the ability to run 93 octane safely.

So
Car - $550
K frame - $106
Wheels - $150
Tinted taillights 87-93 style - $40
mark viii shortblock, with oil filter adapter/cobra pump - $175
heads/valve covers/timing cover - $80
gasket kit - $80
cams - (had these left over but guess gotta count what I once paid) - $300
oil pan gasket - free
water pump/pulley - free

Total $1481.... adding up fast!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Decided to keep the cobra oil pump on, put on the 03 crown vic pickup tube, had to cut off the bracket that was on it and grind it down to keep from hitting the #1 main. Flushed it with some brake cleaner and put it on. I believe this vic oil pan is a lot deeper than a regular mustang but I don't have one to compare. As long as it sits on the k member correctly should be good to go.

As long as there is a 1/4 inch between pick-up and pan you're all good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
03 vic pan installed... a little beat up but shes good to go lol.
Next move is to sit the short block in the frame to make sure pan clears.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Cool project man!

I head to convert to the later tails you have to cut the opening bigger, but the gasket still won't seal uo right?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Cool project man!

I head to convert to the later tails you have to cut the opening bigger, but the gasket still won't seal uo right?
Yeah man are just thrown in there but to fit the bulb from what i've seen you have to cut some of the braces. And yes, the weather stripping still wont seal up right, il probably just throw the old taillights back on but not worried about that right now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Circle D 4400 stall converter single disc meant for n/a. $800 converter got it for $375, xmas gift from the parents.

I also have a 4r70w I bought probably over a year ago, out of an 03 mach 1 with just 8k on it. I was gonna use it in my 98 but I'm gonna use it for this car now. Was $400 last year.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just ordered the Lindy valve notching tool. 7mm diameter 9" length rod with a slightly oversized cutting valve for the intake. Should be here next week.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have built about 6 of these engines now (teksid 2v). This is a fine pump gas engine, I usually run ngk tr6 plugs, smaller cams (stage 2) with some minor head work and an edelbrock intake mani. Its enough to trap 110 n/a in a car that sucks on the strip.

As far as nitrous goes, we have put up to a 250 direct port on a stock teksid shortblock/pi heads. It lasted 10-12 pulls. But holy #### did it pull! With 4.56's on pump gas. I had a 150 kit on it for a long time, with no issues what so ever, and was crazy violent with 4.56's and drag radials in a car that hooks.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I have built about 6 of these engines now (teksid 2v). This is a fine pump gas engine, I usually run ngk tr6 plugs, smaller cams (stage 2) with some minor head work and an edelbrock intake mani. Its enough to trap 110 n/a in a car that sucks on the strip.

As far as nitrous goes, we have put up to a 250 direct port on a stock teksid shortblock/pi heads. It lasted 10-12 pulls. But holy #### did it pull! With 4.56's on pump gas. I had a 150 kit on it for a long time, with no issues what so ever, and was crazy violent with 4.56's and drag radials in a car that hooks.
Any times on the spray?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Static = actual displacement measures of the cylinder + combustion chamber or think of static as a "paper work measurement"

Dynamic = actual running compresion

Cam timing, heat, volumetric efficiency, scavenging all effect the dynamic compression.

A static compression ratio is a measure of whats inside and on paper,... but when the engine is running, the heat generated by compression and how long it hangs around inside because of cam timing and then their is how the heat gets moved out because of scavenging and intake valve timing all determine dynamic

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Slowly making progress. Bought A lindy valve cutting tool($130) to cut some intake notches. Tool is awesome. Few thousands oversized, 9" in. rod. Cuts fast and easy. Made .097 cuts according to my feeler gauges, but I may pick up a depth gauge to accurately see what my cuts are so I can be sure they are all around the same. Also got my gasket set in, and picked up heads/valve covers/timing cover from my friend. Now I'm getting ready to order some brian tooley .550 lift springs with retainers($120) then I can bolt the heads on. Used head bolts also straight from the junkyard.
Ebay gasket set

Lindytool piston cutter

Setting the first piston im gonna cut at tdc

Lubed it with some pbblaster and some grease to catch the shavings

Lindy valve in head

Using feeler gauges set at .097 between the guide boss and the drill stop

After the first cut

Cleaned up

All done

21 - 40 of 169 Posts