Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock GT has 3.27 gears
You changed gears to 4.10

Engine now spins 21% more revolutions per mile.
Old oil change interval was 5000 miles
5000 miles X 79% = new oil change interval of 3950 miles!

Makes sense right?

Yeah- had a boring day at work today and had to make the time go bye!

-Scott

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would change it every 3000 miles. But thats just me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is not my vehicle specifically, just an overall generalization of a common mod and a consequence many people don't even think about. Basically, if you don't change your oil change interval and keep your car 100,000 miles- you would be missing 5 oil changes that you would have performed given the stock ratio of engine revolution per mile.

-Scott

·
U.S. Army Active Duty
14,792 Posts
I am doing the same with the gears, and I use Mobile 1 and change every 2500miles no matter what.

John

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
valid point, but i dont think people will change much, i change my oil somewhere between 3000-4000 miles, long before it even gets dirty.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I use synthetic and change my oil 1 time per year and my oil filter 2 times per year.
After 8 years I use a total of 1 qt of oil per year including replacing what I lose with the filter change.
The 3000 mile oil change is not based on anything other than oil companies getting their hand in your your wallet.

Dwayne

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
How do you prevent the oil running out of the oil filter opening when you switch filters?
Sounds like a messy job.
The old rule of thumb of changing the oil every 3000 miles usually doesn't apply to most modern cars and oils. I believe it really depends on the car and how it is driven. Lots of small stop and go trips are worse on the engine and the oil than longer Highway trips. People that live in a overly dusty and sandy area with a lot of dirty roads should probably change the oil a little sooner than people traveling on a normal type of streets and highways.

Personally I change the oil of my car twice a year regardless of miles. Once in the beginning of spring after being stored for a long time and then sometime in late summer/early fall. I do use
Mobile One and am very happy with the results. Since I only drive my Stang about 5k miles a year I guess that puts me in the 2500 miles or 6 month category ;-)

·
Registered
807 Posts
I change mine every 3000........I drive it hard.....I had a buddy that had an s-10 that didnt change his oil........and we pulled the motor and found like 4 or 5 destoryed rod bearings.....I laughed for days........
Dave

·
Registered
298 Posts
When I changed from 3.27 to 3.73 I drove around town in 5th gear instead of 4th. I'm not sure how much more/less the engine rpms were so overdriving the engine and having to change the oil sooner is not a valid point.

Look at boat motors, they change their oil once per year regardless of how much they are run. You can't measure miles so they measure hours the motor is running. Maybe we should be measuring revolutions, or oil change per millions of revolutions, etc.

Pitchar

·
Registered
124 Posts
The point isnt valid because you dont keep you car in the same gear. For example, w/old gears I would cruise around in third or fourth ~40mph, now I do it in 4th or 5th, still keeping the rpms low. It only makes sense if you are doing nothing but freeway driving when its always in 5th gear.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
You only lose the oil that is in the filter when you pull it off nothing else is being pumped so you do not lose anything from the engine side.
It is no more messy than changing the filter after you have drained the oil.
Do some reaserch on synthetic oil and you will find the base oil does not break down it just gets contaminated which is why I change the filter 2 times.
If I was using a bypass filter and oil analysis I would only change the oil when needed and that could be 5 or 6 years for me.

Dwayne

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Valid point on the on interval changing for cars that see primarily highway miles. I personally use M1 5W-30 and change it every 4500, not because it needs it- but it's cheap insurance. I am getting ready to change to Amsoil and have been pondering extended drain intervals of 12000 miles. (changing the filter at 6000 miles) I'm the fleet manager for 3500 cars where the oil is changed at 6500 miles with cheap dino oil and have yet to have a blown engine in any of these units so i agree that the 3000 mile myth is crap!

-Scott

·
Registered
168 Posts
Take a look at the exact same import car in Europe and North America. Somehow BMWs require oil changes more often in North America than they do overseas.

This is also a big thing with GM these days. They have oil sensors now that tell you when to change your oil. My parents Grand Prix goes over 9,000km before its told to go in on an oil change (non synthetic), and I'm sure GM doesn't take chances.

I second those damn oil companies dipping into our pockets!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts