Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Head Unit that is.

Since my motor is apart and getting forged, I want to do some spring cleaning. One of the things I was thinking of doing was polishing my blower head unit. I did a search and found this link: http://darkside351.tripod.com/mustang50world/id19.html

Looks like a pretty good explanation of how to do it. My question is, for those of you who have done something similar, how long does it take? Do I have to take the blower apart? There are a lot of tight spaces on a blower casting. Is it going to be too difficult a job? I have plenty of time. I was thinking of doing it a little at a time. Is it worth it to get a bench grinder and the appropriate polishing wheels or can I do it all with a dremel?

TIA for your ideas.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has polished their blowers before?

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
97StangBanger said:
Here is a thread with some estimated times in it. I am considering doing this myself as im swapping motors. Seems like a lot of time investment!

EDIT: Im an idiot, i forgot to post link to thread:blam:

LINK: http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73267
Thanks for the link. It looks like Bishop went all out on the sanding. I bet it looks killer, though. According to the link I posted, the guy doesn't recommend going below 320 grit sandpaper and then finishing it off with Tripoli Compound.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
951 Posts
I polished my '01 GT front brake calipers before I put them on my '98 and polished the inside of my bullitt intake throttle body. I'd like to polish the manifold itself but it does take a lot of time. You can do small items like the two I mentioned with just a dremel. For the intake, don't even think about it. However, if you do, the first little bit takes a while but after that, the learning curve is steep. A couple of notes:

-Don't use sandpaper or sanding wheels that are too much grit or you can leave scratches in that you'll have a hell of a time trying to polish out. Just use the sanding pieces to remove enough material to get it smooth enough to start polishing. Don't get too aggressive with it.

-If you use an air grinder to attach a polishing wheel, you need a compressor that has some oomph. My little trim nailer pancake compressor did not. Kept bogging the grinder down.

-Let the compound and the tool do the work. As long as it keeps turning black, you're removing material and polishing it.

-If you're serious about it and think you might do some more pieces, get a good heavy duty variable speed grinder or a grinding wheel that you can put a buffing wheel on. The grinding wheel would let you work a lot of area much much faster.

It took me 3 days to do the 1st caliper. The 2nd one took me 4 hours. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. Just time consuming. And getting the rough surface to a good polish-able surface is really the hardest part.

Good luck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I took mine to a plating shop and they polished it for $100.

Rob
96 SHM Vobra

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I polished mine, Ive polished everything and polished for people for money. If you have a dremil you can do it in 8-10 hours. If you start sanding with 320 it will take days. This is because of the pits in the aluminum. I started with 80 on large surfaces, then 180 , then 320, 600 then wet sand and finally cloth wheel with jewlers ruge (sp?) It may take you much longer, because ive done this alot for my show cars...bling bling

I didnt take the blower apart. I was careful to close off the oil supply and drain lines and cover the pully, shaft, seal and blower opening.

I like 4cams idea as some days it feels worth paying someone else to do it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
96 Tang said:
If you have a dremil you can do it in 8-10 hours.
What type of demel do you use? Can I get away with a cheap Black & Decker model or do I have to use an air grinder or something?

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I got caught "polishing my unit" once a while back....

Ed

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gregs 97 gt said:
Just have Jason do it, what's a couple of more bucks....
Sorry to hear about your motor,hope I don't have the same problems with my 42's.
Ed, aren't you a little old for that.....
Yea, Jason mentioned one of the guys at the shop does a lot of polishing and He's really good.

The injector failure was a real kick in the nuts. Wasn't really expecting that one. If a ringland broke or a rod let loose I could have dealt with that a little better. I'm pretty much at the point where getting an '03 Cobra would have made a lot more sense. Similar power and a full factory warranty.

As far as Ed's unit is concerned, I hear its really "no big deal" :lol:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
99RioRedVert said:

Seeing all these nice pieces has inspired me to give it a shot myself, and I'm not just talking about Ed's unit!
Thats certainly a relief!

:)

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
How much would it cost to have my aftercooler/blower/and svo intake polished???? any ideas?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Glad to see my "unit" has become so popular! :)

Ed

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
99RioRedVert
According to the link I posted, the guy doesn't recommend going below 320 grit sandpaper and then finishing it off with Tripoli Compound.
I'm the guy who did the write up.
What I was trying to say is that I hate sanding as much as the next person . You can sand with 400, 600 or 1,000 even finer if you want, so happens I stop sanding at 320 grit sand paper and then use a nylon wheel for my final sanding. I then Buff with Tripoli and Polish with White Rouge.
I've never polished a blower before so I can't say how long it will take to polish. But it always seem to take me 12-20 hours to do any piece.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ALMOST STOCK, that engine is a piece of art! Very nice.

Here is a pic of what I've gotten done today. Still needs more polishing with the Mothers. I only polished the volute area of the blower. Lots of nooks and crannies in the rest of it. Thats what took me the longest today. The flat areas are the easiest.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Karl,

Looks great! You'll have it mastered by the time you finish mine right?

Ed

1 - 20 of 26 Posts